Filtering EPICS in Agile Board

Prashant_Jain May 26, 2013

I created an Agile Board to track EPICs/Stories. I wanted to filter EPICs (in the left panel) based on some quick filters. So I could define some themes as Quick Filters, and clicking on a Theme I wanted to show EPICS which belong only to that theme? Is it possible?

6 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 26, 2013

It isn't possible yet. There is an Improvement request in GHS-6949. We recommend you to vote the request to increase the popularity and watch the request for future updates.

Wenqin_Chen June 8, 2018

I figured out a way to filter epics by component in backlog. Here are the steps: Go to Backlog -> click on "..." icon on the very top right corner -> click on board settings -> under "Saved filter", click on hyperlink "Edit Filter Query". -> it takes you to a new page, in the filter section on the top, click on "More" dropdown, in the dropdown select "Component", a "component" option appears and set it to your desired component -> click "Save" that now appears on top of the page -> now go back to your backlog, without clicking on any filters, you should see both the epics and the issue already only displaying those in the desired component.

This took me way too long to figure out, so I want to share with the community. Hopefully this will help someone in the future!

Like # people like this
Deleted user August 16, 2018

After clicking on the "Edit Filter Query" it took me to a new page but i couldn't find dropdown which named as"More" Can you post a screenshot please?

Aaron Westervelt December 8, 2018

The More option only appears when you're in the Basic view. If you don't see More, look to the right of the filter query box and you should see the Basic button. After selecting Basic, you'll see More as one of the options.

It's worth mentioning that:

• This requires every Epic, User Story, etc to be associated to the selected Component in order for it to be visible on the board.
  • You can accomplish the same thing in the Advanced view by adding the following to the filter: component = componentNameHere
Dan August 22, 2019

thankyou for this

3 votes
Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 13, 2017
Olof Robertson August 19, 2017

Hi @Prem Chudzinski _extensi_,

Would it be possible to filter the epics based on their labels or other properties of the Epic?

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 19, 2017

Hi @Olof Robertson,

Right now its possible to filter by epic name/key only.

Soon we'll be releasing filter by project KEY and 4 extra filters:

1. Uncompleted (at least 1 open issue)
  2. Unestimated (at least 1 unestimated  issue)
  3. Empty (without any issues)
  4. NonEmpty (exclude empty epics)

Any other kind of filtering requires JQL usage and its quite complex implementation and a lot of jira hacking :) But yes its possible.

Cheers

Przemyslaw

Anthony Roach February 22, 2018

Can you provide an example of filtering Epics by label?  For example, we have Epics in a single project with the labels persona:data_architect and persona:business_analyst.  I would like to create quick filter buttons to filter accordingly, not the just stories, but the epics as well.  Thanks!

Marketplace Partner
February 23, 2018

Our upcoming version will use full JQL filtering so you'll be able to do that.

Drop me an email on info@extensi.io and I'll notify you once is released.

editor.pngfull filtering.png

PS. What do you think about the UI - any suggestions?

Lineker Tomazeli May 1, 2018

Any support for JIRA Cloud ?

Marketplace Partner
May 2, 2018

Hi @Lineker Tomazeli

No, that won't happen. 

There is no API to do that.

Aleyda De la Fuente October 29, 2019

Hey Guys, this is 2019 and I don't see any new release or comment on this enhancement.  Any news?

Marketplace Partner
February 10, 2021

@Aleyda De la Fuente I's been released.

0 votes
Roberto Tebaldi February 4, 2021

I expect also that quick filter also on Epic works. This would be great. 

Also a Checkbox filter for new-in progress ... etc would be really useful. I hope many users will like it 

Thank you,

Roberto

Mofasshara Rafique March 10, 2021

I am looking for exactly this

0 votes
Ali Mumcuoglu May 6, 2019

I don't know if this is still relevant or answers your question but you can filter Epics with a quick filter:

issuetype = Epic

Ashley Renlund October 4, 2019

That does indeed pull up just the epics on the board. I had understood that the questioner wanted the quick filters to apply to the side Epics panel, as well as the individual issues.

image.png

That's what I wanted anyway.  Didn't see an open Atlassian suggestion, so I made one: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18474

Like # people like this
0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2013

You can't filter Epics on an agile board with quick filters since the quick filters only apply on the stories in your backlog.

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2013
0 votes
Prashant_Jain May 26, 2013

can someone respond on this query?

Suggest an answer