Filter issues by label and include their children regardless of their labels

lucas perlich January 13, 2020

Hi, I am looking for a method to filter by issues containing a certain label but also to include their child issues regardless of their labels.

I found a lot of articles that refer to multiple plugins but those are not available on Jira Cloud version.

Can someone tell me how to do this?

thanks

lucas

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Muhammad Ramzan(Atlassian Certified Master)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2020

@lucas , an amazing plugin JQL Search Extensions for Jira & reports is available on Cloud which can solve your issue.

I create your scenario and its successfully returning the results.

What you need to do is.

• Create one sub query "labels=yourlable"
  • Then use this query to get your results.
subTaskOfQuery="parentissueswithlabel" or issuesInQuery="parentissueswithlabel"

Please note that "parentissueswithlabel" is the alias of the sub query. This query will return all issues with label=yourlabel and their child issues.

Here is the documentation , how to use it

https://jqlsearchextensions.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SEARCH/pages/173211649/Subqueries+-+Jira+Cloud

lucas perlich January 15, 2020

looks good to me, due to lack of rights I need to ask my administrator to install the plugin - as soon as I have more informations I'll come back to you,...

Anyway thank you in advance :-)

lucas perlich January 16, 2020

I can now confirm that using the JQL Search Extensions for Jira & reports plugin I can search for issues with a label and displaying those issues as well as their children.

Too bad this is only possible using a plugin,... I would expect to be able to do this with Jira out of the box :-(

Anyway thanks for pointing me to a workable method,... :-)

Like Hailey Fisher likes this
0 votes
semioniy May 12, 2021

The best solution I found so far is filtering by parent epic.

parentEpic = epicName

Kenneth Huie January 6, 2022

I could see that working, but then you have to update the query when the EPIC closes, right?

Labels tend to be more permanent..

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2020

you may be able to do this...

1. create a filter say "parents_with_labels" that has a JQL - labels in (a,b,c)
  2. create another filter "parents&children" that has a JQL - issuetype = sub-task and parent in filter (parents_with_labels) OR labels in (a,b,c)

TBH, not sure this will work. just something to try. I don't use the "filter" function much.

LMK the results

lucas perlich January 13, 2020

Unfortunately a filter() function does not exist on Jira Cloud, do you use a Plugin for that?

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2020

it may be part of the Jira toolkit plugin which I have installed but it is free. That is the only addon I have that might explain the difference you are seeing.

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
lucas perlich January 14, 2020

I could not find any information about a filter() function using Toolkit Plugin for Jira. Either way it is not available for Jira Cloud, so it would not help :-(

Anyway, thanks for checking. Does anybody has any other idea?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2020

it is available for Jira Cloud as that is where I see it. If you simply start typing "filter" in the JQL bar you do not see this option? If not, I will try to figure out why I might have it and you do not.

Sorry to bother but are you sure?

If I search for "toolkit" under Atlassian Marketplace > Find new apps from within my Jira Cloud Instance I can't find it.

If I search directly on https://marketplace.atlassian.com I can find one that has no Cloud Hosting Option: Toolkit Plugin for Jira

Can you point me to the plugin page?

Thanks

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2020

What I was saying is that the “filter” JQL function is available for cloud as I have it. I expect there is an optional system addon maybe that I have but unsure which one that might be at the moment. To be clear you do not see “filter” as an option in your instance?

I do have filter as argument to use like this in JQL:

issuetype = Bug AND filter = "My Own Filter Name"

But I can't use it as function like you described earlier:

issuetype = sub-task and parent in filter ("My Own Filter Name")

I then get the error: JQL-Function 'filter(My Own Filter Name)' can not be found.

Suggest an answer