Filling a field while transitioning a defect status

rsud March 23, 2014

I am looking to add a field that would be in a screen popping up when a defect/bug is transitioned from one status to another.

For example, if a bug is transitioned from "Open" to "Deferred", I would like a screen/popup to appear with a dropdown containing the following items for selection:

Fix in Future
Future Enhancement
Retest in Future Build

Similarly, when transitioning a bug from "Open" to "Fixed", I would like a similar popup to appear with a dropdown containing different options for selection.

How would I accomplish this in JIRA?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2014

Every transition has the option when creating or editing it to add a screen to be presented during the transition. these are usually special screens only used for the transition. This is out of the box functionality. If you install the jira-suite utilities you can require a field be filled in during the transition.

rsud March 23, 2014

Thanks Joe. Any insight into the 2nd part of the question? Can I relegate certain fields to appears for certain transitions only? For instance, I only want Option A, B, C to appear when transitioning from "New" to "Open" and I want Option D, E, F to appear when transitioning from "Open" to "Fixed"

rsud March 23, 2014

Thanks Tarun. In other words, I'll need to create a new screen, each with a different field containing the values I need for selection while transitioning?

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2014

Each transition has a option to define a screen and on that screen you can put any fields you want.

From new to open will be Transition A

From Open to Fixed will be Transition B

Thus 2 diff. transition and when you click on transition in jira, you can select a screen for that transition with the fields that you want.

Suggest an answer