Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Fields configuration vs Screen scheme

Hey everyone,

I'm a bit confused between field configuration to screen schemes.

basically, if I want to define a custom field to specific issue type and specific project, I can associate this field with the issue type, and specific screen (from my screen's project).

So, why to use field configuration?

Thank you,

Shani

1 answer

2 votes

A screen scheme tells JIRA what screens a field will appear on for a particular issue type.

A field configuration tells JIRA some configuration details about the field when it is applied to an issue type - mandatory, type of input, and also if it is hidden.

Hey Nic,

Thank you for the quick response.

I know this is 4 years ago, but it doesnt quite answer the question of why we need 2 separate things for fields.

Why cant these things just appear as config params in the screen ? Otherwise you can list a field in a screen and then its not visible because the  the screen scheme hides it - why put it in the screen then ? Would there ever be a case where the screen is not enough to describe what you want ? For each screen scheme attached to a type you can only have one field config, if you could have multiple configs it would make sense. I am missing something obviously, can someone explain how this makes sense.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you