Fields configuration vs Screen scheme

Shani Mamka April 20, 2017

Hey everyone,

I'm a bit confused between field configuration to screen schemes.

basically, if I want to define a custom field to specific issue type and specific project, I can associate this field with the issue type, and specific screen (from my screen's project).

So, why to use field configuration?

Thank you,

Shani

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2017

A screen scheme tells JIRA what screens a field will appear on for a particular issue type.

A field configuration tells JIRA some configuration details about the field when it is applied to an issue type - mandatory, type of input, and also if it is hidden.

Shani Mamka April 20, 2017

Hey Nic,

Thank you for the quick response.

Marcus O'Brien July 8, 2021

I know this is 4 years ago, but it doesnt quite answer the question of why we need 2 separate things for fields.

Why cant these things just appear as config params in the screen ? Otherwise you can list a field in a screen and then its not visible because the  the screen scheme hides it - why put it in the screen then ? Would there ever be a case where the screen is not enough to describe what you want ? For each screen scheme attached to a type you can only have one field config, if you could have multiple configs it would make sense. I am missing something obviously, can someone explain how this makes sense.

Like # people like this
Nathanael Motz January 28, 2022

Not displaying a field is the typical case where I often question what the best practice should be. That is, do I hide the field in the field config or remove it from the screen? I usually remove it from the screen as that makes more sense to me. I also feel like it might be less confusing to others looking at the configs.

Since a field config and a screen scheme might apply to different sets of issue types I guess I can imagine a situation where it might make more sense to use the field config method as it can be quicker to implement. Any other reasons to choose one method over the other?

Rob Tull April 1, 2022

I have opted for field configs over screens in a number of cases because it reduces the fields shown in the bulk change interface. Our field list was getting quite long but we found that if no issue in a bulk change set has a field, then that field is not shown in the bulk change edit list - which improves the user's experience.

Mason Mackey May 27, 2022

I am typically removing the fields from the screens if i don't want them on each specific issue type. a Bug issue has different fields when it's being created than when it's being resolved. 

how might i use the field config in place of screens? 

Rob Tull June 9, 2022

If you want to display different fields at different times, that's what Screens are for. The field config is more for a situation where you want to control what issues apply to a certain issue type ever. For example, if a field should never be populated for a certain type of issue, then you would use a field configuration. If it should be populated but only at certain times, then you'd use a Screen.

Like Christian Bellmore likes this
Deleted user January 8, 2024

It is been 2 years, is anyone still here?

I tried ,but still confused,like this:
filed cnf.jpg

This filed is only configured in Epic Screen,but when I save the Store it stll says "Affects  Version/s is required." 

filed cnf2.jpg

In fact ,this filed does not actually exist.

filed cnf3.jpg

Suggest an answer