Fields Not Using Wiki Renderer

Shelli April 24, 2017

I am using JIRA Server 7.1.6 and when I try to apply wiki formatting to my text, it doesn't apply the style.  For example, in the description field, I entered this text:

*This should be bold*
-This should be deleted-

And that is exactly how it is displayed instead of bolding or applying strike through.

According to https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/configuring-renderers-802592570.html the default renderer should do this.  I don't believe we have modified the default renderer uses, but can't find how to check this in the documentation or a setting that configures this.

Can somebody direct me on how to check our renderer settings?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2017

Are you trying to use the wiki markup in a custom field? What custom field type are you using?

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2017

To answer your question:

Can somebody direct me on how to check our renderer settings?

Renderers are configured in the JIRA admin under Field Configurations. If the field is a renderable field, then you can configure the renderer following the instructions found here.

Shelli April 24, 2017

I am trying to use markup in the Description and Comments fields, not custom ones.

Like Brian Oconnell likes this
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2017

Hmm. A couple more questions based on that.

1. Have you checked the renderers configured on the Field Configuration on the Description and Comments fields? It is possible to change those renderers, so maybe they got changed somehow.
  2. Are you using any add-ons in your JIRA instance that affect text field input (like giving you a custom WSIWYG editor, etc.)?
  3. Does this happen for every issue in your JIRA instance? Do some projects and/or issue types work correctly and others don't? If it's not happening everywhere, this might suggest some issues in the configuration of the Field Configuration associated with a project/issue type.
Shelli April 24, 2017

1. That's what I'm asking how to do.

2. Not to my knowledge

3. All issues AFAIK

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2017

I linked to this page in the Atlassian documentation earlier, which should show you how to figure out which renderers are being used. Checking the renderers is for administrators only, so if you don't have administrative access to your JIRA instance, then you will need to get an adminstrator to check/change it for you.

Shelli April 25, 2017

Hi,

Thanks I was able to find the field configurations/renderers.  All text fields are set to use "Default Text Renderer".  I don't believe this was ever changed as I am the main administrator of our JIRA instance and I certainly have never done so.

I am able to update which renderer to use which is good.

However, I'm confused as to why the JIRA documentation states that the wiki renderer is default when it doesn't appear to be default and the other renderer actually has "Default" in its name.

Description: Wiki style renderer (default), Default text renderer

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2017

Yeah, that's odd. Not sure what could have caused that change - maybe you installed an add-on recently that changed it for some reason? Regardless, glad you were able to find the issue and fix it.

1 vote
Natalie_Russell March 3, 2020

We are seeing the same on a custom field that is set to have wiki rendering but this does not pull through? We are on cloud and using chrome.

0 votes
Dmytro Shchepak June 30, 2017

I have same problem.
Описание(Description field in russian-language interface) [Wiki Style Рендерер]
but still after editing the Description-field, I see *B* instead of the bold letter B.

erik.hodge1 May 9, 2019

I have the same problem with [Wiki Style Renderer] for the field 'Comment' but no wiki handling of {code}...{code} or {noformat}...{noformat} or 'HTML' is happening any more, and *Bold* is rendered as italicized text, not bold text.  I have verified via Manage Apps that the Wiki Renderer Macros Plugin has 8 of 8 modules enabled.

Did you find a solution?

erik.hodge1 May 9, 2019

I just found that the wiki-style rendering only fails on desktop browsers (Windows 10 Firefox, Chrome) and works just fine in the JIRA Android app.  In the browsers, a '\' is being inserted before the '{' of a tag like "{code}" and "{noformat}", and editing in the app reveals those '\'s and lets me remove them, and subsequent rendering is correct on both platforms.

Like Natalie_Russell likes this

Suggest an answer