Field Layout Item description requires markdown instead of HTML when upgrading from Jira 7 to Jira 8

mnd December 22, 2020

I'm upgrading from Jira 7.13.1 to Jira 8.13.2. After a test upgrade I noticed that many of our custom descriptions for fields are displaying HTML characters, rather than a rendered version of the HTML. I can find individual descriptions to update in the "Edit Field Layout Item" screen under the "Field configurations" area. This brings me to three questions:

1. Is this a documented change? I've looked through all of the release notes, developer notes, and upgrade notes, and not been able to find anything related to this.

2. Is there any built-in way to convert these from HTML to Markdown? I'm guessing not, but I have over 500 to change.

3. I have tried making a manual change to this field in the database, to try and speed things up (especially so I can prepare the statements for a production deployment, and not have to edit everything by hand). When I make the change in the database, it is not immediately reflected in the UI. Does this require a reindex, or anything else to take affect?

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2020

Hi,

this was changed with Jira version 8.7 starting. You can still change the setting though:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver087/configuring-jira-application-options-998872637.html

Cheers,
Daniel

mnd December 30, 2020

Thanks @Daniel Ebers !

Suggest an answer