Field Configurations and Field Configuration Schemas

Chethana Hashani August 12, 2018

Hi all,

I am bit confused about purposes and usages of field configuration and field configuration schema. Could someone please clarify me on this

Cheers,

Hansi

3 answers

2 votes
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2018

HI @Chethana Hashani

Let say, You have different Issue types that you are using in your project and in this, you want to configure different fields should make required/optional, this can be done using field configuration. for multiple Issue types you want to do the same then you need to create multiple field configurations and each issue type then you need to associate all the field configurations into one Field configuration scheme.

The Field configuration Scheme is nothing but the collection of field configurations.

Please have a look at the below Kb for the same.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-a-field-configuration-scheme-844500805.html

1 vote
Sudipta Panda December 17, 2021

Dear @Chethana Hashani , I will try to explain this. Very recently I understood by doing a fresh experimentation. 

Lets take a scenario : I have a custom field named "Documentation Impact". This is a radio button field which record if a requirement (Story, or defect fix, or task for that matter any issue) impacts its product documentation. Now, I want to for all Bug issue type I want to make this Required field, but will not make it required for other issue types. This can be accomplish by Field Configuration Schema. How ? ... lets see below  

Field Configuration : This is a configuration set of all filed (including custom fields) which defines at filed level at least for following options (See Fig 1). 

• Viability Control of the Field
  • Optional or Required

At my example , I have given this set of fields configuration to Field Config A

Fig -1 

Field Config A.png

That means for all fields I can configure its visibility and optionality and to that set, I give a name as Field Config A . At 1 you can see the name of the field config, at 2 you can see you can tweak the configuration at field level for all fields. As I mentioned based on above requirement, I changed the Custom Field "Documentation Impact" field to Required in thsi schema (See Fig 2)

Fig - 2

Field Config A-Documentation.png

At point 3 , you can see the filed is configured "Required" under this Field Config A

Now I create a Field Configuration Schema (named Field Config Schema A)which will include all issue types including a Bug type, But that Bug type in this Field Configuration Schema is following Field Config A. This will make the same field "Documentation Impact" in other issues Optional but for Bug Mandatory. (See Fig - 3)

Fig - 3

Field Confg Schema.png

Hope my attempt of explaining help audience.

Any suggestions welcome.

0 votes
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2018

Field configuration and field configuration schema are used to add context to a field on a per project basis.

A new custom field will be added to all projects using the screens containing that field by deafault unless, you add context (projects) to the field with the help of field configurations to restrict the field to a subset of those projects.

Suggest an answer