Facing an error during issue creation in JIRA

Sunandha Rajamanickam Sekar January 4, 2019

Hi,

Facing an error during issue creation in JIRA. In one of the Project in my oraganization JIRA account, the user faces an error same as below highlighted

"We can't create this issue for you right now, it could be due to unsupported content you've entered into one or more of the issue fields. If this situation persists, contact your administrator as they'll be able to access more specific information in the log file."

This issue happens randomly for many users under the same project. Also only for the issue type "User Story".

By referring the atlassian solutions  I came to know the error might be of 'Post functions' behind the create transition. But the post functions were perfect.

I had performed re-indexing by locking the jira instance.

But still the issue persists, Please do help me out here, why the issue occurs.

Regards,

Sunandha.

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ramaiah Pendli January 4, 2019

Hi @Sunandha Rajamanickam Sekar

Try to simulate the same issue at the same time check the error log for current action, you will come to know which will be causing the issue.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2019

Hello Sunandha,

Once you reproduce the error again as suggested by @Ramaiah Pendli, can you please provide us the stack trace of the Error log so we can further investigate it too? Please, hide the particular information of your instance from the log, if there is any.

Also, provide us with a screenshot of the post functions you currently have on the creation transition of your Story issue type.

Additionally, have you tried to check the workflow integrity by running the Integrity Checker on your instance? You can follow the steps in the documentation below to do it:

Using the database integrity checker

P.S: Flag just one of the three option under Check Workflow Integrity and run integrity check for each option one time. Flagging all the options can cause the client to time-out depending on how much data you have in your instance.

We will be waiting for your answer.

0 votes
Sunandha Rajamanickam Sekar January 7, 2019

@Petter Gonçalves and @Ramaiah Pendli My sincere thanks to both of you. My doubt here is I'm a system administrator I'm able to create the issue without any problem in the particular project, but the normal users are facing this issue. The error message happened around 7.05pm in IST on 5-jan-2019 where my server is running in UTC,  I have checked my logs and found some error in between 13:30 to 13:59 UTC. I'll paste the logs here. I'm confused what exactly happening. And for the "database integrity checker" I'm not ready to do the troubleshooting on my database since I'm worried whether it will works. Touching the database is like walking on the thin string tied in a peak height.

Client error - 404 when posting to web hook 

Client error - 410 when posting to web hook

These are the two error lines i could see in the log. I hope this error not related to the issue happening

Regards,

Sunandha

Sunandha Rajamanickam Sekar January 7, 2019

@Petter Gonçalves Will it affect my production time while i'm running the check workflow integrity during working hours?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2019

Hello Sunandha,

Yes, the integrity checker can cause some slowness in your JIRA system, as you can see in the documentation I sent before.

That been said, I recommend you to run integrity checker in a non-production time or in a time with less use of JIRA.

Additionally, I'm currently checking the error you provided and will let you know as soon as I find anything related to it.

Sunandha Rajamanickam Sekar January 8, 2019

@Petter Gonçalves 

Hi Petterson,I had run the integrity checker by choosing the option "check workflow entry stated are correct"

But I could notice the error stating as per the attached screenshot.

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 12.09.05 PM.png

I referred to the original bug report "https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-4241"

But i couldn't found the exact solution steps what i should do to fix this.

As well as i retrieved the value from my database using a query,

select jiraissue.pkey, jiraissue.workflow_id, OS_WFENTRY.* from jiraissue, OS_WFENTRY where jiraissue.workflow_id=OS_WFENTRY.id and ( OS_WFENTRY.STATE is null or OS_WFENTRY.STATE = 0);

The result here is a table that didn't return any pkey value.(I have posted 2 rows values for example, but the actual output holds 22rows)

pkey | workflow_id |   id   |                 name                 | initialized | state

------+-------------+--------+--------------------------------------+-------------+-------

|      169563 | 169563 | Final  - Story Workflow |             |     0

|      162269 | 162269 | Final  - Story Workflow |             |     0

What does the workflow_id and id columns value? From where this values are been fetched?

Do I need to change anything with my current workflow?

Please do clarify me what the exact problem here?

error due to re-indexing? workflow error? or something else that I should know?

Hope I'm going in the right troubleshooting track!!

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,

Sunandha.

@Petter Gonçalves

The other two checks in the workflow integrity checker's output are as follows:

Check workflow current step entries 

This prompting an error, server took too long to respond.

Check JIRA issues with null status

PASSED: Check JIRA issues with null status

Is there any SQL query available to do the failed check "check workflow current step entries"?

Regards,

Sunandha

In addition to the above informations, I have also noticed that the add-on was expired. Will this be the reason?

Jira Misc Workflow Extensions --> add-on name

Ramaiah Pendli January 8, 2019

Hi @Sunandha Rajamanickam Sekar

If you are using the Jira server, just apply the 1 month trial license and see if you encounter the same issues again or not.

Suggest an answer