Extend Jira time estimation functionallity by Plugin

KB December 9, 2019

Hi,

i've got a question concerning the time estimation functionallity in Jira.

Reading the answers in this question https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-ensure-Sub-task-impact-on-Parent-Task-for-remaining/qaq-p/108528 , i found out that Jira time estimation/tracking works the following way: (just like Nic Brough explained it)

"It's a little complex, but the way I've succesfuly explained it to some people is:

• ALL issues have their OWN estimates and work logs.
  • That includes issues with sub-tasks. Parent issues have their own estimates and worklogs
  • When a parent issue has sub-tasks with any worklog information, it shows all of the estimates and worklogs for itself AND it's subtasks. In the estimate section of the display, there is an option to toggle between "all" and "parent only" display.

"
So is is possible to extend/modify this functionallity through a Jira time estimation Plugin?

I would like to plan time like Emily Stewart described in the question mentioned above:

"The way we are all using sub-tasks is as a breakdown of the body of work represented on the story; the story itself would have an estimate of the full body of work, and the sub-tasks would be a breakdown of that story, which means the story itself would never have any work logged to it at that parent level.

The feature that I and almost everyone else on this post are requesting is the ability to enter the Original Time Estimate on a parent for sprint planning purposes, and then when sub-tasks are added that further define and more accurately estimate that parent body of work, those sub-tasks' sum of estimates and sum of remaining time spent are what would be used to burndown the Original Time Estimate that's on the parent."

If so, could anyone advise some plugins that represents the desired functionallity?

Thanks in advance!

0 answers

Suggest an answer