It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Exporting to xls directly from task lists or list of user stories

Currently we only can export data from Jira or confluence to Word or PDF format but not in excel.  I would like to attach docs directly into Jira where it has icon for attachments in different formats.  Instead of drag and drop.  Does the confluence have ways to keep track of file versions such as in word or excel based on date stamp.

1 answer

0 votes

Hello Sarah,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I'm not sure if I have clearly understood your requirements, but please allow me to bring you some concepts so we can confirm we are on the same page.

About this statement:

Currently, we only can export data from Jira or confluence to Word or PDF format but not in excel

Actually, you can also export JIRA data in CSV (XLS) format, by creating a filter with the issues you want to export and using the export functionality in the issue navigator as displayed in the screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 18.03.50.png

About this statement:

I would like to attach docs directly into Jira where it has icon for attachments in different formats.

Analyzing this statement, It seems you are looking for a way to import (Not export) your attachments to JIRA, without need to drag and drop each one for each task. Is it correct?

If that's what you are looking for, you can easily import attachments by following the steps below:

1 - Upload your attachments to a public host (Like google drive) accessible by JIRA Application

2 - Create a CSV file, mapping the issue key on tasks and adding an attachment column where you are going to map the URL of the attachment, like in the example below:

Assignee, Summary, Description, Attachment, Comment
bob@example.com, "Issue demonstrating the CSV attachment import", "Please check the attached image below.", "https://jira-server:8080/secure/attachment/image-name.png", "01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; This comment works"
bob@example.com, "CSV attachment import with timestamp,author and filename", "Please check the attached image below.", "01/01/2012 13:10;Admin;image.png;file://image-name.png", "01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; This comment works"

3 - Choose the Jira icon (, or ) > Jira settings > System.

4 - In the Import and Export section, click External System Import and then click CSV.

5 -Choose your CSV source file. 

P.S: If the task you would like to import attachments to are already created in your JIRA instance, export them to CSV (using the export functionality mentioned above) and add a column called attachment, mapping the link/address from the directory you added the attachments to the column

For more information, you can check the "Importing Attachments" section of the documentation below:

Importing Attachments 

Let me know if this information helps.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

334 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you