Export to excel missing

Ilya Lifman August 28, 2016

Hi,

The 'export tot excel' option disappeared from the drop down menu. Is it configurable somewhere?

Thakns,

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2016

On Cloud?  It's been effectively replaced by CSV (Spreadsheets can all read CSV)

Ilya Lifman August 28, 2016

Sorry for a stupid question but, how do I know what version I have cloud or server?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2016

If you're using a Cloud system, it'll be on a url of <something>.atlassian.net

Have a look at the bottom of any of the pages to be sure, the version is often in the footer.

Peter Valdemar Mørch November 2, 2016

I'd say not-so-effectively. Especially our project managers have difficulty importing CSV formats (e.g. separator is non-standard) and all the formatting and links to the issues is lost!

Please bring back exporting to a real Excel file!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2016

Ah, the wonders of English and split infinitives.  If I'd got my grammar correct, it might have been more clear.  I was not describing CSV as effective itself, just the act of replacing Excel with CSV.  Even with correct grammar, it remains a sentence that would have been unclear.  Better than what I wrote, but unclear.

I too would prefer to keep the Excel exports, at least until CSV is as good as they were.

0 votes
Mark Biro March 23, 2017

Hi there,

With ImpEx you can import and export your issues to XLSX or HTML (even with comments, images and attachments)!

Feel free to give it a try: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.moresimp.impex/server/overview 

Best regards, Mark

0 votes
Peter Valdemar Mørch November 2, 2016

Yes it seems it is a feature missing from the cloud version.

Aaaarrrrhhhhhhh!

Excel (Current fields) is mentioned in the 7.2 documentation, but not in the cloud documentation (which is version 1000.499.3)

The origin of the problem is this:

[JRA-61891] Exports search results to Excel result in empty sheets due to Microsoft update - Atlassian JIRA

What worked for me on my ancient Excel 2007 installation was:

• Export to HTML, download file
  • Rename "Capmon JIRA.html" -> "Capmon JIRA.xls"
  • Open "Capmon JIRA.xls" in Excel (ignoring warning)

Voila! But beware. This trick will stop working. See the issue above.

How difficult can it be for JIRA to create a real Excel file? Lesser minds have surmounted this obstacle! smile

See also: Export to Excel (HTML, All fields) or Excel (HTML, Current fields) not appearing - Atlassian Answers .

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2016

Not JIRA core, but the Better Excel Plugin can create real Excel files!

(This is currently available for JIRA Server, but will come for JIRA Cloud soon...)

Peter Valdemar Mørch November 11, 2016

I thoroughly expect JIRA to support Excel Export without having to pay extra. If that is via "Better Excel Plugin" - great! But I don't see why we should pay more because they have removed a feature.

And in 2016, getting something to write Excel files, even on Linux is entirely possible, and indeed rather trivial if one doesn't get too fancy.

Suggest an answer