Export project from Jira 6.3.12 and import to existing Jira cloud?

Ola Arwidsson January 11, 2021

I have an old local Jira version 6.3.12, and I like to save one or a few of the projects there and move to our Jira cloud version, that already have some projects.

Do i even need to bother, or is it better to start a copy and paste session to create new issued with the old text?

I found some info about how to export and import, but it is not clear how to only import one project. The old Jira has a "Import project" choise that looks promising, but I don't see it in the cloud version.

So far I tried the "Import from external system/Jira-server-or-cloud" which only leads to full restore I think.

I was also trying to export issues from just one project, but I think the csv/excel file JIra produces is not at all compatible with Jira import??

Our system is quite small, so it is probably not impossible to do it issue by issue, but nice to hear if I have some automatic options. Also it is just the issues list I need, users, assignments etc. we need to go thru anyway.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

Well, not sure if you are able to upgrade to a newer version, but there a Jira Cloud Migration Assistant available that is compatible starting on Jira 7.6.... 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1222010/jira-cloud-migration-

That should be able to help you more easily move data to Cloud.. 

Here is a complete guide

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/use-the-jira-cloud-migration-assistant-to-migrate-from-server-to-cloud-993925215.html

Of course there are some limits (not all things are migrated) 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/what-gets-migrated-with-the-jira-cloud-migration-assistant-993925216.html

Overall you can read more about migration to Cloud in a nice guide here

https://www.atlassian.com/migration/cloud/guide/introduction/overview

Ola Arwidsson January 11, 2021

Thanks, I will try to figure out how to upgrade and then try the migration tool, it will be fun!

Like Mirek likes this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2021

Definitively! :) Fingers crossed. If you need anything feel free to post a question on Community :)

Ola Arwidsson January 12, 2021

More fun than actual work done...!
Upgraded to 7.6, got lost in warnings about mysql connector string in dbconfig.xml (sessionVariables=storage_engine or default_storage_engine) leading to trying to edit it manually, then using a config tool in jira, which had a bug in the start .bat that did not detect java version correctly... learnt a lot about bat files, working with variables and paths in dos, but in the end this was just a warning when using mysql later than 5.7, which I don't. ;-)
But I always get some error after "Jira is starting", see below.
Also tried to upgrade to Jira 7.0.0, get no errors, but just a blank page instead of jira login page. Upgraded this furter to 7.6 and 7.9.2, but still the same (?) error.

Peeked around in some log files, but have too little knowledge to know what to look for.

Not sure best way to include it, will just paste the beginning of error in web-browser:

BeskrivningTidNivåUndantag

Unexpected exception during JIRA startup. This JIRA instance will not be able to recover. Please check the logs for details
2021-01-12 19:21:34fataljava.lang.AbstractMethodError: Method com/mysql/jdbc/PreparedStatement.setBinaryStream(ILjava/io/InputStream;)V is abstract at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.setBinaryStream(PreparedStatement.java) at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingPreparedStatement.setBinaryStream(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:405) at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingPreparedStatement.setBinaryStream(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:405) at org.ofbiz.core.entity.jdbc.SQLProcessor.setBlob(SQLProcessor.java:919) at org.ofbiz.core.entity.jdbc.SqlJdbcUtil.setValue(SqlJdbcUtil.java:853) at org.ofbiz.core.entity.jdbc.SqlJdbcUtil.setValue(SqlJdbcUtil.java:753) at org.ofbiz.core.entity.jdbc.SqlJdbcUtil.setValues(SqlJdbcUtil.java:549) at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDAO.singleInsert(GenericDAO.java:197) at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDAO.insert(GenericDAO.java:171) at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericHelperDAO.create(GenericHelperDAO.java:89) at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDelegator.create(GenericDelegator.java:562) at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDelegator.create(GenericDelegator.java:548) at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericValue.create(GenericValue.java:114) at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.DefaultOfBizDelegator.createValue(DefaultOfBizDelegator.java:296) at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.WrappingOfBizDelegator.createValue(WrappingOfBizDelegator.java:172) at com.atlassian.jira.entity.EntityEngineImpl.createValue(EntityEngineImpl.java:29) at com.atlassian.jira.scheduler.OfBizClusteredJobDao.create(OfBizClusteredJobDao.java:128) at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.createOrReplaceWithRetry(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:197) at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.scheduleClusteredJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:189) at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.scheduleJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:137) at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.DelegatingSchedulerService.scheduleJob(DelegatingSchedulerService.java:70) at com.atlassian.jira.service.DefaultServiceManager.scheduleCronJob(DefaultServiceManager.java:487) at com.atlassian.jira.service.DefaultServiceManager.scheduleJob(DefaultServiceManager.java:467) at com.atlassian.jira.service.DefaultServiceManager.scheduleJob(DefaultServiceManager.java:462) at com.atlassian.jira.service.DefaultServiceManager.ensureServiceScheduled(DefaultServiceManager.java:532) at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.accept(ForEachOps.java:184) at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$2$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:175) at java.util.Iterator.forEachRemaining(Iterator.java:116) at java.util.Spliterators$IteratorSpliterator.forEachRemaining(Spliterators.java:1801) at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:481) at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:471) at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:151) at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:174) at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234) at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:418) at com.atlassian.jira.service.DefaultServiceManager.ensureServicesScheduled(DefaultServiceManager.java:523) at com.atlassian.jira.service.DefaultServiceManager.start(DefaultServiceManager.java:104) at com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager.runStartable(ComponentManager.java:311) at com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager.quickStart(ComponentManager.java:227) at com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager.start(ComponentManager.java:168) at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.PluginSystemLauncher.start(PluginSystemLauncher.java:45) at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.lambda$postDbLaunch$2(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:143) at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.doNowOrEnqueue(DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.java:304) at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.doNowOrWhenDatabaseActivated(DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.java:199) at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.postDbLaunch(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:135) at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.lambda$start$0(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:102) at com.atlassian.jira.util.devspeed.JiraDevSpeedTimer.run(JiraDevSpeedTimer.java:31) at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.start(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:100) at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener.initSlowStuff(LauncherContextListener.java:154) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
0 votes
Tejeshwini May 5, 2022

How to import/export test cases from jira url to another  different jira?

Project A already having testcases in of the jira and I want import/export to  to those test cases to another jira?
Is that possible to do?is Yes plz let me know the process

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events