Export issues with comments and attachments

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2011

When exporting issues, the comments and attachments are not included in the export. How can I include the comments and attachments??

JIRA 4.1.3

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2011

What kind of export do you mean?

Export to XML (via Backup System) does export comments, but it does NOT export the attachments. Attachments are kept in a separate directory (with subdirectories for each project/issue) and have to be copied manually.

Export to XML from Issue Navigator (Views | XML) or an issue screen (e.g. <your-JIRA-base-URL>/si/jira.issueviews:issue-xml/<issue-key>/<issue-key>.xml does include comments (rss > channel -> item -> comments) and attachments (rss > channel -> item -> attachments) - but just basic info about the attachments, not the content of them

Export to Excel (from Issue Navigator | Views | Excel (All fields)) does not export comments (documentation clearly mentions that). I think you would need to write a plugin which does it.

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2011

Thank you for the response Wojciech.

Yes, I was trying to do an excel export from the Issue Navigator.

I will take a look at the export to XML.

Thanks again! :)

Like Mark D Mainprize likes this
Eashwer Iyer October 28, 2022

I tried using this feature (Export RSS with comments) but ran into qualitative issues.

When I export the records using the option (Export RSS with comments), the number of tickets exported by JIRA XML export is fewer than the actual #of tickets. The other option of exporting to XLS works fine and retrieves all the tickets. 

Secondly, when exporting using the RSS with comments, I also noticed that not all the comments are exported out. Many of them are, but some are not. This is as of Oct 28, 2022.

Feel free to comment on the quality aspect. I may even provide the proof to Atlassian by opening a support ticket/request to further investigate this.

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2016

JIRA PDF View Plugin does include both comments and attachment in the exports!

Comments are trivial, the funny thing is with attachments. The PDF file format allows embedding byte streams in the documents, and the PDF View Plugin uses this to export the issue attachments to attachments embedded in the PDF document!

See: http://www.midori-global.com/products/jira-pdf-view-plugin/documentation/embedding-attachments

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events