Export: Issues not showing up in exported file

Gurdeep Malhi May 27, 2012

We have just setup a Jira instance, and can't seem to get the export working properly. When we export issues to any kind of file (Excel, Word, Xml, PDF), the header is shown in the file but not the actual issues.

I have attached an image of what the file looks like. ()

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2012

How many issues are you exporting, what are you using to open the downloaded files, and what sort of thing are you seeing when you open a downloaded file in a plain text editor?

The reason I ask is that OpenOffice here won't read excel files directly - clicking on the export works, opens it up and then we get a blank sheet. The plain text editor shows the .xls file to be a load of xml which does include issues, and then opening it manually works fine.

Im using Microsoft Excel or Word to open the downloaded files. There are only about 5-10 issues in the files im trying to open and all i see is the header stating how many issues are there, however no issues are shown.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2012

Ok, that's a good start, but what do you get if you open the downloaded files in a simple text editor?

Gurdeep Malhi May 28, 2012

When opening in Open Office, same result its blank.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2012

Um, for the third time, what happens when you open it in a plain/simple text editor?

I opened the file in Notepad and below is the text that was in there:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

<html>

<head>

<title>BCIT</title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" Content="application/vnd.ms-word; charset=UTF-8">

<style type="text/css">

.tableBorder, .grid

{

background-color: #fff;

width: 100%;

border-collapse: collapse;

}

.tableBorder td, .grid td

{

vertical-align: top;

padding: 2px;

border: 1px solid #ccc;

}

.noPadding

{

padding: 0 !important;

}

h3 .subText

{

font-size: 60%;

font-weight: normal;

}

.tabLabel

{

font-weight: bold;

border-bottom:none;

display: inline;

}

td.blank

{

padding: 0;

margin: 0;

}

.blank td

{

border: none;

}

#descriptionArea

{

margin: 0;

}

hr

{

border-top:1px solid #aaa;

}

hr.fullcontent

{

height: 15px;

padding: 10px 0;

background: #fff url('') no-repeat scroll center;

}

</style>

</head>

<body>

Generated at Mon May 07 15:01:35 EDT 2012 by Gurdeep Malhi using JIRA 4.3.3#617-r149616.

</body>

</html>

It seems as if somehow the issues aren't linked properly. The export seems to be trying to retrieve the information, but none is appearing.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2012

Ok definitely not exporting. What happens if you right-click "xml" and "save as" and open that in a text editor? Do issues come out then?

Gurdeep Malhi May 29, 2012

I get the same thing, nothing showing up, below is what was in notepad;

<rss version="0.92">

<channel>

<title>BCIT</title>

<link>http://bcit.com/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&amp;jqlQuery=project+%3D+VW+AND+status+%3D+Open+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC</link>

<description>An XML representation of a search request</description>

<language>en-us</language>

<issue start="0" end="13" total="13"/>

<build-info>

<version>4.3.3</version>

<build-number>617</build-number>

<build-date>19-04-2011</build-date>

<edition>enterprise</edition>

</build-info></channel>

</rss>

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2012

Yet you get 13 issues in the issue navigator?

In issue navigator i can see all the issues, search for them, filter them, everything.

What i would like to do is view the issues in excel or word in a saved document. Whenever I do this, the issues never appear in the saved file.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2012

I know that you want to get data out - that's the whole point of the links in the application!

So, in summary

• The issue navigator is working, which means the core of Jira is working ok, and your index is fine.
  • Exporting to other formats is not (all of them, which is helpful to know)
  • You get the headers and footers it should (also very useful to know - it means the server is giving something back to your browser)
  • But the issues themselves do not end up in the file at all
  • There is no "no issues in filter" returned either which implies to me that it is reading the issues and then failing to generate any data for them

Two more questions next

1. Does your log contain any errors around the time you try an export?
  2. Does your data include any custom fields? Could you try removing all custom fields from the filter view and using "excel - visible fields only" and see what that does?

1) Where can I locate the log?

2) Same thing no issues are shown in the file.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2012

1) No idea - depends on where you've put it and if you've not fiddled with the setup, then which version and type of Jira you're using. Look for atlassian-jira.log.

2) Hmm. Ok, that sounds like somethings gone really wrong in the core. Have you made any modifications to Jira at all (I mean files in the install, not the admin/config)

Gurdeep Malhi May 30, 2012

The setup was done by an external company, however they themselves havent seen this issue either

0 votes

Its not letting me upload an image

Suggest an answer