Export: Issues not showing up in exported file

We have just setup a Jira instance, and can't seem to get the export working properly. When we export issues to any kind of file (Excel, Word, Xml, PDF), the header is shown in the file but not the actual issues.

I have attached an image of what the file looks like. ()

2 answers

Its not letting me upload an image

0 vote

How many issues are you exporting, what are you using to open the downloaded files, and what sort of thing are you seeing when you open a downloaded file in a plain text editor?

The reason I ask is that OpenOffice here won't read excel files directly - clicking on the export works, opens it up and then we get a blank sheet. The plain text editor shows the .xls file to be a load of xml which does include issues, and then opening it manually works fine.

Im using Microsoft Excel or Word to open the downloaded files. There are only about 5-10 issues in the files im trying to open and all i see is the header stating how many issues are there, however no issues are shown.

Ok, that's a good start, but what do you get if you open the downloaded files in a simple text editor?

When opening in Open Office, same result its blank.

Um, for the third time, what happens when you open it in a plain/simple text editor?

I opened the file in Notepad and below is the text that was in there:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

<html>

<head>

<title>BCIT</title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" Content="application/vnd.ms-word; charset=UTF-8">

<style type="text/css">

.tableBorder, .grid

{

background-color: #fff;

width: 100%;

border-collapse: collapse;

}

.tableBorder td, .grid td

{

vertical-align: top;

padding: 2px;

border: 1px solid #ccc;

}

.noPadding

{

padding: 0 !important;

}

h3 .subText

{

font-size: 60%;

font-weight: normal;

}

.tabLabel

{

font-weight: bold;

border: 1px solid #ccc;

border-bottom:none;

padding: 2px;

display: inline;

}

td.blank

{

padding: 0;

margin: 0;

}

.blank td

{

border: none;

}

#descriptionArea

{

margin: 0;

padding: 2px;

border: 1px solid #ccc;

}

hr

{

border-top:1px solid #aaa;

}

hr.fullcontent

{

height: 15px;

padding: 10px 0;

background: #fff url('') no-repeat scroll center;

}

</style>

</head>

<body>

Generated at Mon May 07 15:01:35 EDT 2012 by Gurdeep Malhi using JIRA 4.3.3#617-r149616.

</body>

</html>

It seems as if somehow the issues aren't linked properly. The export seems to be trying to retrieve the information, but none is appearing.

Ok definitely not exporting. What happens if you right-click "xml" and "save as" and open that in a text editor? Do issues come out then?

I get the same thing, nothing showing up, below is what was in notepad;

<rss version="0.92">

<channel>

<title>BCIT</title>

<link>http://bcit.com/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&amp;jqlQuery=project+%3D+VW+AND+status+%3D+Open+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC</link>

<description>An XML representation of a search request</description>

<language>en-us</language>

<issue start="0" end="13" total="13"/>

<build-info>

<version>4.3.3</version>

<build-number>617</build-number>

<build-date>19-04-2011</build-date>

<edition>enterprise</edition>

</build-info></channel>

</rss>

Yet you get 13 issues in the issue navigator?

In issue navigator i can see all the issues, search for them, filter them, everything.

What i would like to do is view the issues in excel or word in a saved document. Whenever I do this, the issues never appear in the saved file.

I know that you want to get data out - that's the whole point of the links in the application!

So, in summary

  • The issue navigator is working, which means the core of Jira is working ok, and your index is fine.
  • Exporting to other formats is not (all of them, which is helpful to know)
  • You get the headers and footers it should (also very useful to know - it means the server is giving something back to your browser)
  • But the issues themselves do not end up in the file at all
  • There is no "no issues in filter" returned either which implies to me that it is reading the issues and then failing to generate any data for them

Two more questions next

  1. Does your log contain any errors around the time you try an export?
  2. Does your data include any custom fields? Could you try removing all custom fields from the filter view and using "excel - visible fields only" and see what that does?

1) Where can I locate the log?

2) Same thing no issues are shown in the file.

1) No idea - depends on where you've put it and if you've not fiddled with the setup, then which version and type of Jira you're using. Look for atlassian-jira.log.

2) Hmm. Ok, that sounds like somethings gone really wrong in the core. Have you made any modifications to Jira at all (I mean files in the install, not the admin/config)

The setup was done by an external company, however they themselves havent seen this issue either

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

743 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you