Export/Backup Issues From 1 Project

Karrie Dash April 7, 2017

My overall goal is to export issues from Jira Cloud and import them to Jira Server.

1. I have a temp instance of Jira Server set up and have read all instructions on how to import a project, but cannot find a document that thoroughly explains how to EXPORT a project. Each document I find tells me that I need to export the project but doesn't explain how. Is it truly as simple as going to Administration > System > Backup System > Backup ?

2. From the Issues page, we require the following fields to be transferred: the status, reporter, description, & comments. All other fields are optional. Is it better to export the project or export using the issues filter to a CSV or XML file?

3. Currently, Jira Cloud is set up with 2 projects (one for our customer and another for internal tickets). We don't want the linked issues to show up in the imported tickets. Is it possible to tell Jira to not import that field?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2017
  1. Not quite.  All the docs say that you need to export the system.  There is no "project export", you have to take everything.  When you import from the file containing everything, you can select a single project to import.
  2. It depends.  CSV might be easier to import than XML, but the comment handling is ugly (one column needed for each comment, no comment metadata imported like author and date, and so-on).  XML might work better, but I am not familiar with XML imports (not even noticed if they are available!)
  3. With CSV, you can choose to import or ignore any field you want.  For the "back up everything, import project", it brings in everything.  Again, I don't know anything about XML imports

Suggest an answer