Execution of "issueFunction in subtasksOf("resolution = Fixed or Completed")" is not working fine.

Suchitra Singh April 7, 2015

The following JQL function is throwing errors:
1. JQL : issueFunction in subtasksOf("resolution = Fixed or Completed")
Error : NoViableAltException(-1@[]).

2. JQL : issueFunction in subtasksOf("resolution = 'Fixed or Completed'")
Error : No issues were found to match your search.

The error is coming for all the values of field Resolution where the value contains more than one word such as Won't Fix, Incomplete Description, Cannot Reproduce, Won't Do, Fixed or Completed.

Our JIRA Instance details:
--------------------
JIRA version: 6.3.12
JIRA tomcat heap size: 16 GB
JQL Tricks plugin version: 5.3.3

Script Runner plugin version: 3.0.6

3 answers

4 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2015

You need to test the inner query separately - this is not going to work on its own, so it won't work as a parameter:

resolution = Fixed or Completed

This should totally work:

issueFunction in subtasksOf("resolution = 'Fixed or Completed'")

"No issues found" is not an error, maybe there are no results for that query?

Try Udo's suggestion and see if that gives the same results. 

Udo's example of Won't Fix not working is because it contains a single quote, but your one doesn't.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2015

Ha, you are correct. It works with "Cannot Reproduce"

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2015

thanks for confirming ;-) Udo - can you linkedin with me? "Jamie Echlin".

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2015

Always a pleasure confirming good anwers. Thanks for invitation, however I'm only on Xing and have no plans going to linkedin.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2015

Totally fair enough, I forgot that linkedin is not big in Germany. I just wanted your email, perhaps you could send it to me at firstname.lastname@gmail.com , where first and last is Jamie and Echlin ;-)

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2015

Mail was sent ;-)

1 vote
Suchitra Singh April 7, 2015

Hi Jamie Echlin,

There are results present for JQL -

issueFunction in subtasksOf("resolution = 'Fixed or Completed'")
because I tried to validate if there is any result for the above query or not, by executing the below query:
Project = RISK AND issueFunction in subtasksOf("status= closed")

and got results more than 9K with most of them having Resolution = Fixed or Completed

I have tried creating a custom filter (ResolutionFilter)

ResolutionFilter --> resolution = "Fixed or Completed"

and then executed the below query and got the result "No issues were found to match your search"

Project = RISK AND issueFunction in subtasksOf("Filter = ResolutionFilter")

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 8, 2015

> and got results more than 9K with most of them having Resolution = Fixed or Completed Do you mean most of the parent issues had that resolution? What results do you get for: Project = RISK AND resolution = 'Fixed or Completed' ?

Suchitra Singh April 8, 2015

Do you mean most of the parent issues had that resolution? Yes Project = RISK AND resolution = 'Fixed or Completed' - Returns no Result (Which again seems to be wrong behaviour)

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 8, 2015

> Returns no Result But there's your problem... so this is not related to the subtasksOf function, which seems to be doing the right thing. Try reindexing all.

1 vote
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2015

Yes, I get similar errors (used "Won't Fix")

Workaround: create a filter (FilterA)

resolution = "Fixed or Completed"

then use

issuefunction in subtasksof("Filter = FilterA")

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2018

This is the way to go - not sure why the SubtasksOf is so temperamental.  

Suggest an answer