Exclude Weekends in Query

Choo Kai Min Bryan December 15, 2018
My workplace uses Jira to track patients. We have an excel sheet to be updated daily to have a daily report to provide statistics of which colleague can take up a patient.

Currently the query searches the amount of issues assigned to them from 365 days to now. It has come to my attention that the report would not be accurate as it calculates the weekends too. We work on weekdays only and this report could be providing false information for us. As we might be assigning more issues to some colleagues than should.

The report is collected from the total issues to each jira users assigned in the past 365 days to now. It would be taken to an excel sheet with certain calculations to get a report of colleagues who can take up a patient.

I know there are some questions left unanswered for it. But I hope there might be some sort of method to track issues created 365 days till now - all the weekends

If not could I kindly request how other ways we can try to find ways on how your workplace manages to find out how issues should be assigned in a fair manner ? We can try to integrate them in our office. I really appreciate your help!

2 answers

0 votes
Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2018

I would add your vote to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-27539 in order to push this feature forward 

Choo Kai Min Bryan December 26, 2018

Haha thanks Peter. I have added my vote to it. But it won't be anytime soon won't it 

Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2018

Thanks for sure, unfortunately 

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2018

Hi @Choo Kai Min Bryan

This may be an issue in the way your excel is performing the calculation. JIRA will only return dates for issues created. Or did you want to exclude issues that have actually been created on weekends?

For info, I have used Scriptrunner to create scripted fields that parse dates for reporting i.e. convert to formats like Q1, Q2 etc and can be used to return a day of the week you could use in your JQL query.

There are other plugins that also provide  smart/script fields.

Choo Kai Min Bryan December 26, 2018

Sorry I must have phrased it very confusingly. Thank you for your suggestions. To clarify , we would like to find issues only created on weekdays from 365 days ago

Because our excel file will have certain calculations for loads for each user to allow us to know who should be assigned an issue. This excel file gets updated daily except weekends.

But it was noticed by one of our colleagues that some days the loads would be constant. We looked into this where we realized because weekends were counted too. Because on that day it was updated it was a Sunday 365 days ago. Therefore the conclusion that the day before , when he updated it , it was a Saturday 365 days ago. Therefore producing the same load. 

To prevent this from happening , we thought to find to exclude the weekends.

Suggest an answer