Estimation vs tracking - Story or Sub-Task?

Hi, everyone! I am new to JIRA Admin and configuring for our org. We use the following hierarchy for Scrum: 

Epic > Story > Sub-Task

Given this hierarchy, what is the best practice recommended for estimating vs logging work? Currently, we estimate work on the Story level--so we can see our estimations on the backlog during Sprint planning--and log work on the Sub-Task level. (I'd also love to see the Remaining Estimate automatically calculated on the Story based on the logged work of the Sub-Tasks, but it doesn't seem possible this way.) 

I'm sure this has been asked before...but I cannot seem to find any one clear answer. Any tips/help is greatly appreciated - much thanks in advance! 

-Rachel 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Warren Levy Community Champion Nov 16, 2017

Hi Rachel

I understand your reason for estimating at the story level, but there's a better way around this.

You should be estimating at sub-task level, then as long as the Include sub-tasks checkbox is ticked, these estimates will sum and show on the parent story. Similarly, the remaining estimates on the sub-tasks will sum to the parent.

To show the estimations on the story in the Backlog view, if you click on the (...) at the top right and choose Board settings, then click on Card Layout. In there, you can add up to 3 fields to the cards showing in the Active sprint board and 3 fields (can be different) in the Backlog view. So you could show the Original Estimate field in the Backlog

Hi, Warren, 

Ah - thanks so much for the helpful info! That may work better for us. :) 

Q: If we do estimate/log work at the sub-task level instead of the story level then, will this affect reporting? I would love to still be able to pull the various reports during the sprint.

Thanks so much! 

Warren Levy Community Champion Nov 20, 2017

Hi Rachel

The reporting should still work as you expect it, because the total estimate, total remaining and total logged time sums from the sub-tasks to their parents

Wonderful! Thanks so much for confirming, Warren, and for all your help! 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,802 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot