Estimate field is missing from Scrum Board

When I'm trying to create a Sprint, I don't see the Estimate field even though I enabled Time Tracking in JIRA and set Log Work, Time Tracking fields under my Screen.

See the attached image, there is only Remaining field which is useless in Plan mode.

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Jason Worley Atlassian Team Oct 03, 2013

Go to Board > Configure then click the Estimation tab

Change the Estimation Statistics from Story Points to Original Time Estimate, then the Remaining Estimate and Time Spent radio button

More details on that here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+Estimation+and+Tracking

Hope this helps!

I see no Estimation tab at Board > Configure?

Click "..." ->Board Settings

Click Estimation in nav bar

Make adjustments mentioned above

... -> Board Settings 
I don't have any  Tab, menu or button called "Estimation" 

Board > Configure?

Is that meant to be board ->project settings?  In any case, can't find estimation field not even under issue type default fields.

No, it's Board -> Configure

You need to start with a look at the board configuration to check that the board is using "estimate" for its statistics on the estimation settings tab.

Then you need to make sure the board configuration tells the issue view to include the time tracking field

Already done: "

Go to Board > Configure then click the Estimation tab

Change the Estimation Statistics from Story Points to Original Time Estimate, then the Remaining Estimate and Time Spent radio button"

But the estimation field still not there

dhanuka I'm New Here May 17, 2018

I'm using a free trial. Is that the reason that "Configure" tab is not appeared ?

You don't have board administration rights.

I have tried doing this. But I still can't change it from "unestimated". Any other setting I need to change? 

Hi, I do not see any Board->configure either. i dont see story points field though i am able to configure it. my sprint is also on going.

i am the Admin to the project and just created the link and new project. i am currently on a free trial for 7 days. 

also shows me that estimation feature is coming soon.  please help. 

Capture.PNG

You're using an "Agility" board, which doesn't have the Board -> Config that Scrum and Kanban boards get.

Hi @Neha Damania

Currently agility project doesn't support estimation. However, as indicated on features page, it is coming soon (specifically, story pointing). In the meantime, you can create a new project called "scrum project" and follow above-mentioned direction to try out estimation in your evaluation period. 

Erika Sa

Atlassian product manager

Thanks Nic and @Erika Sa  for your help. i have now created a new scrum project. and done the required configuration from Board settings -> estimation. and in filed configuration as well story points is configured to be on 3 screens. but i am still unable to see the estimation/story points field on the stories.

When i try to start the sprint, it says "tickets do not have a value for the 'Estimate' field. Values entered after the start of the sprint will be treated as scope change." please help. 

config.PNG

Board config.PNGSPMissing.PNG

The easiest way to find and fix this one is to click "edit" and then use "where is my field" under the "configure fields" at the top right.  That will walk you through all the possible reasons the estimate is missing.  Ask it about the "time tracking" field.

The reason it is warning you about empty estimates is that in Scrum, you commit to doing a set of pieces of work who's estimates fit within what you think you can achieve.  Without estimates going into a sprint, you can't measure that.

yey !! thanks tons. I did go to the "where is my field" yesterday as it is pretty intuitive but did not scorll down in the pop up where it suggested config change :(. all good now :) thanks again.  

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

121 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you