Error while trying to update a custom field using REST API

Mahesh January 5, 2018

I am trying to implement a functionality to auto close few tickets which meets a criteria. I am getting the errors mentioned below while making the API call to resolve the issue.

Command I am running:

curl -D- -u admin:admin -X POST --data @oracle_decomm_close_2 -H "Content-Type: application/json" "https://jiraxx.xxxx.com/rest/api/2/issue/DECOM-40322/transitions?expand=transitions.fields" 

cat oracle_decomm_close_2
{
"update": {
"comment":[{"add": {"body": "Automatic closure of Oracle decommission ticket"}}],
"worklog":[{"add": {"timeSpent":"1m"}}],
"customfield_14881":{"value": "NO"}
},"transition": {"id": "5"}
}

Error:

{"errorMessages":["Can not deserialize instance of java.util.ArrayList out of START_OBJECT token\n at [Source: com.plugenta.jiraauditor.filter.RestReadingServletRequest$1@388e8ec2; line: 1, column: 139] (through reference chain: com.atlassian.jira.rest.v2.issue.IssueUpdateBean[\"update\"])"]}

New to json. Any help on this is highly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2018

Hello,

Do you mean that the problem is with customfield_14881? Are you sure about it? Did you try to do the POST without customfield_14881? Did it work? If you are sure that the problem is withcustomfield_14881then what is customfield_14881 custom field type?

Mahesh January 8, 2018

Thanks for getting back Alexey.

I am not quite sure where the problem is. I figured that customfield_14881 is required to transition the ticket status to "Resolved". It wouldnt let me close the ticket from the front end, if this field is not set.

I am not sure how to find the type of the custom field. But I did a GET on an existing ticket, and found the below for this particular custom field.

"customfield_14881": {
"id": "17533",
"self": "https://jiraxx.xxxx.com/rest/api/2/customFieldOption/17533",
"value": "NO"
}

Please excuse my mistakes. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2018

Your JSON should be like this

{
"update": {
"comment":[{"add": {"body": "Automatic closure of Oracle decommission ticket"}}],
"worklog":[{"add": {"timeSpent":"1m"}}]
},

"fields": {
    "customfield_14881":{"value": "NO"}
  },"transition": {"id": "5"}
}

Mahesh January 8, 2018

Tried that.

I get HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error

Can I enable additional logging to see specific errors?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2018

Have a look in your atlassian-jira.log. It should work. The problem was that

"customfield_14881":{"value": "NO"} was in the update parameter. But it must be in the fields parameter. Aslo I supposed that your custom field is a single select

Mahesh January 8, 2018

Thanks Alexey.

Unfortunately I dont have access to the application logs. I will keep looking to get them.

Adding the custom field change to fields parameter still hasn't worked.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2018

What is the error?

Mahesh January 8, 2018

I just get this when i execute the curl command.

{"errorMessages":["Internal server error"],"errors":{}}

Mahesh January 8, 2018

The custom field is indeed single select. From the front end i see the possible options are YES/NO

Mahesh January 8, 2018

Capture.JPG

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2018

Try to install Jira REST API browser add-on(it is free) and check it there. You can query all REST API functions there. Have a look what will be the error there.

Mahesh January 10, 2018

Thanks Alexey. Turns out the id I gave in the transition was incorrect.

It worked after I gave the right one.

Thanks for your help.

Dheeraj Shetty November 3, 2022

I am getting this 500 status code when I am using below payload in my post request
{
"transition": {
"id": "41"
}
}

Suggest an answer