It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Error while importing CSV, Invalid project type Software: An invalid project type was specified.

Im trying to import a CSV from a DOORS project into JIRA and keep running into this error.

"Invalid project type Software: An invalid project type was specified. Make sure the project type is available in your Jira instance. Please talk to your Jira administrator if you need more help."

The original CSV did not contain a column called "project type" so i added one, initially i called the header project type and filled in software in the rows below it but still got the above error, so i changed the header to software but im still seeing the error.

Can someone shed some light on what i may be doing wrong.

Currently im trying all this on a test instance of jira before i do it in prod.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

@Rob A Importing a CSV file into JIRA that contains issues related to different project types, requires specifying the "project type" as "software" or "service desk" in a project type column for relevant projects in CSV.

If you are doing the right thing by specifying project type and mapping it to right JIRA System field, then you may check if you actually have any software type project in your JIRA instance or not. If you are using JIRA Software, you should have Software Type projects, but if you are only using JIRA Core or JIRA Service Desk, you may not have Software Type projects.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply!

I was able to get around this issue by first creating a blank project then importing this CSV into that project. 

However since the import came from a different application, I did not map a lot of the headers as they did not make sense with the available fields i have in my current instance, leaving the import to create very sparse issues.

So my other question is in order to generate a fully populated issue, i either need to create custom fields that match the headers or map the headers to current fields..correct?

@Rob A Yes, it is correct. You will need to create custom fields or use System fields, that match to the data type from your fields from another application, and then map the headers with the relevant Custom or System fields in JIRA, while importing CSV.

Thanks for clarifying.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

273 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you