Error while importing CSV, Invalid project type Software: An invalid project type was specified.

P October 29, 2019

Im trying to import a CSV from a DOORS project into JIRA and keep running into this error.

"Invalid project type Software: An invalid project type was specified. Make sure the project type is available in your Jira instance. Please talk to your Jira administrator if you need more help."

The original CSV did not contain a column called "project type" so i added one, initially i called the header project type and filled in software in the rows below it but still got the above error, so i changed the header to software but im still seeing the error.

Can someone shed some light on what i may be doing wrong.

Currently im trying all this on a test instance of jira before i do it in prod.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2019

@P Importing a CSV file into JIRA that contains issues related to different project types, requires specifying the "project type" as "software" or "service desk" in a project type column for relevant projects in CSV.

If you are doing the right thing by specifying project type and mapping it to right JIRA System field, then you may check if you actually have any software type project in your JIRA instance or not. If you are using JIRA Software, you should have Software Type projects, but if you are only using JIRA Core or JIRA Service Desk, you may not have Software Type projects.

I hope this helps!

P October 30, 2019

Thanks for your reply!

I was able to get around this issue by first creating a blank project then importing this CSV into that project. 

However since the import came from a different application, I did not map a lot of the headers as they did not make sense with the available fields i have in my current instance, leaving the import to create very sparse issues.

So my other question is in order to generate a fully populated issue, i either need to create custom fields that match the headers or map the headers to current fields..correct?

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2019

@P Yes, it is correct. You will need to create custom fields or use System fields, that match to the data type from your fields from another application, and then map the headers with the relevant Custom or System fields in JIRA, while importing CSV.

P October 30, 2019

Thanks for clarifying.

Mohini_Sathe January 2, 2020

Interesting, if you edit the csv adding project type as Software the import fails. But if you modify it with software the import works. (Looks to me case sensitive issue)

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer