Error trying to set up secure IMAP

Charles Firkins July 31, 2013

I am using Jira 6.0.3 and am trying to set it up so we can create issues with email. So I am setting up the Incoming Mail. I am working in Microsoft environment (Windows 2008R2, Exchange 2010 SP3, RU1) We followed the directions from:https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+JIRA+to+Receive+Email+from+a+POP+or+IMAP+Mail+Server and also https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+to+SSL+services

I have tried various keystores including one at C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_07\jre\lib\security\cacerts

I keep gettting this errorUnfortunately no connection was possible. Review the errors below and rectify:

SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

Help...

3 answers

0 votes
Alex Espinoza June 29, 2014

The following document guides you on how to change JIRA's startup options:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Setting+Properties+and+Options+on+Startup

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2013

Hi Charles,

In JIRA, browse to Administration -> System -> Troubleshooting and Support -> System Info. Then, check in JVM Input Arguments if you have anything like the parameters I sent you above. If you don't have anything, we found the root cause of the error. Just add the same parameters I sent you on the JIRA Startup Options and restart JIRA. It will work. :)

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Charles Firkins August 1, 2013

Lucas,

Thanks for the quick feedback. Hopefully you are a patient person, since I am still trying to make this work. :)

I found the JVM Input Arguments:

-Dcatalina.base=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA -Dcatalina.home=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA -Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\endorsed -Djava.awt.headless=true -Datlassian.standalone=JIRA -Dmail.mime.decodeparameters=true -Dorg.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFER=true -Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\temp -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Djava.util.logging.config.file=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\conf\logging.properties -XX:MaxPermSize=384m -Xms256m -Xmx768m

None this looks like the -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=Z:\parth\to\cacerts -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword="changeit"

So I assume I need to add it - but how? and where? I did not see anything on the web UI to add startup params so that means I need to hit the actual start of Jira?

Using a Windows service to run Jira so not sure how to interface with that process to alter startup params...

Alex Espinoza June 29, 2014

The following document guides you on how to change JIRA's startup options:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Setting+Properties+and+Options+on+Startup

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2013

Hi Charles,

Can you confirm if the has been correctly imported on the keystore with the command below?

keytool -v -list -keystore Z:\path\to\cacerts

Have you also applied it to the JIRA Startup Options? You'll need to add following arguments:

-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=Z:\parth\to\cacerts  -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword="changeit"

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Charles Firkins July 31, 2013

Lucas,

Thank you for your response. I ran the code you suggested and think I saw the cert I added (I am NOT an IT person or a software person). I still get the error.

How do I test to see what keystore that Jira is going to check? I think that is the issue, that Jira is not finding the keystore where I put the cert and I don't see how to figure out what keystore it is using...

Charles

Suggest an answer