Error occurred while creating an issue

We are using JIRA version 5.2.7. while creating issues using CSV import, I get the following error

com.atlassian.jira.exception.CreateException: Error occurred while creating issue through workflow: Originating Version is required.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

We have added validator for create transition in the workflow to resolve the issue. Thanks all for their inputs.

Do you have a field required validator (for "Originating Version") in your create transition? So make sure that this field is imported with values or remove the validator.

0 vote

This implies that you have a field called "originating version", you have made it mandatory in your project, and you are now trying to import CSV without that field set in it.

Either (temporarily) make the field optional, or place a column into your CSV and map that one. That's just for a test to check that I've got the right cause (and it should tell us a lot more if it fails too)

Hi Nic,

actually, you can import issues without values for mandatory fields. Somehow this works using the CSV-importer. Don't ask me why.

I know it used to let you do that in the past (barring "summary", which is always required), but some of the importers have a bit more respect for the config nowadays, and I've not tried the CSV one recently.

However, I think the new version does, as you suggest, execute the validators on create. I should have said that in my answer, but I was thinking more of the second bit - finding out what happens if the mandatory is somehow removed, or the data provided.

Under JIRA 6.0.7 it still allows it (except summary as you mentioned)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

59 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you