Safari Web Browser On Mac, Error in the JQL Query: The quoted string has not been completed.

Max MacLeod May 7, 2020

Let’s say I begin to enter a JQL query as follows:

type = "Bug

Jira then provides autocomplete suggestions to choose from. I select “Bug/Error” from the drop down, and Jira completes the query text field as follows:

type = "Bug/Error”

Attempting to run this returns an error:

Error in the JQL Query: The quoted string 'Bug/Error”' has not been completed. (line 1, character 8)

This is very frustrating whilst constructing queries. One must constantly replace the quotation marks with straight quotation marks before then attempting to run the query. Essentially having to resolve an error prior to resolving the real error. 

Note that this happens only using the Safari web browser, currently 13.1.

Also, macOS 10.14.6.

Chrome browser works fine. No issue.

Here’s three screenshots that show this happening.

project = "XYZ"

All good so far. Now when I edit the above in the JQL form, the leading quotation mark is immediately changed.

project = “AXYZ"

See above. Note how the leading and trailing quote marks differ. Hit enter and the error appears.

Curiously, the problem also happens inside this very edit box! Something is changing the quote marks. It’s a pain and renders the JQL advanced queries in Safari web browser nigh on unusable.

Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 11.00.33.pngScreenshot 2021-06-04 at 11.00.48.pngScreenshot 2021-06-04 at 11.00.59.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Max MacLeod August 28, 2023

After several years, finally had another go at fixing this. Turns out that it is macOS system behaviour. Thankfully it can be disabled. 

See https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh35735/mac

For Jira, the solution is to disable Smart Quotes in the menu under Safari -> Edit -> Substitutions.

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 11.59.08.png

For the above menu to be active, the cursor must be in the field under edit.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2020

For some reason I've never got to the bottom of, Safari seems to thing /E is a control character and sends something JQL can't handle instead of the plain string.  

Best I can do is tell you to avoid slashes (and brackets) in the names of options where possible.

Max MacLeod June 4, 2021

Think you may well have a point.

From what I can see, quote marks are unnecessary unless - I guess - searching strings that have spaces, need escaped, etc.

So the solution probably either use Chrome browser, or continue with Safari but avoid using quote marks where possible.

Suggest an answer