Error in creating an screen because of custom field

Selvakumar August 7, 2022

Hi All,

I've list of custom fields which is required field to be displayed ONLY during a particular transition. However, error message popping when I create a new issue in JIRA asking for custom filed.

(Example : Whenever I create a new issue, I get an error "Dev efforts" to be filled since "Dev efforts" is a mandatory field).

After this error I make "Dev efforts" as optional and I tried to create issue. But again, different error "Dev ETA" is required.

So, I keep all required custom field as optional and continue to work.

How to rectify and solve?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bharathi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2022

Hi @Selvakumar,

From your issue description, I see that you are marking the custom fields as mandatory/optional in the field configuration of your project, which is causing this problem.

To suit your need of making the custom field mandatory only in specific transitions and not during creation, please don't mark them as mandatory in field configuration. Instead, add in workflow validations to check if they are "not empty/mark required" in the respective transitions. This way, you can mark them as required wherever needed and avoid the errors during issue creation.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Selvakumar August 8, 2022

Hi,

Tried below the condition  and made as "is required"

Fields required 
by JWT
Checks if fields are set or empty

Failed and this transition happened even if condition is blank

Regards

Selvakumar

Bharathi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2022

What do you mean by "next status went hidden"? This has got nothing to do with the status. Can you please elaborate on the exact issue you are facing?

Hi,

I made the two fields "Dev ETA" & "Dev Efforts" as optional field.

Workflow condition:

Then I selected below option n on condition for transition "A" TO "B"

Img 1.JPG

Then made condition "is required"

img 2.JPG

Transition happening from "A" to "B" even if the fields are empty.

I'm reachable at +91 9941332829 if we can able to discuss over phone.

Thanks,

Selvakumar

Bharathi
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2022

Please add workflow validation. Mentioned it as workflow condition, by mistake and modified it now. Please make sure to publish the workflow once done.

Let me know how it turns out.

Like Selvakumar likes this

Apologies, I could not get you answers.

I tried but not able to figure out exactly.

Thank you, what I did was made custom field as optional and made those fields mandatory to display during that particular transition.

Suggest an answer