Epics' parent Initiative not showing up in Plan

Prashantha March 21, 2023

I created an Initiative - 112 in Proj-1 ; and then I created two Epics - 113 (in Proj-1 linked as a child to 112 - Initiative) and 1415 (in Project-2 -linked as a child to 112),

I also created a couple of stories in 1415 (epic)

When I create a plan with filters (all the issues have a component - Release-x), I see that Epic-to Story is showing accurately as descendants

but Epics themselves are showing up as issues without parents

Plan-Not-Mapping-Initiative-Epic.png

2 answers

0 votes
John Elder March 22, 2023

In addition to Magdalena's point to check the hierarchy filter... I also am thinking that this is related to how JQLs can not be nested under each other in the same query.  I haven't found a way, via filter, to pull in the children of an Initiative, and then also pull in the children of those child Epics.  

I have only seen it work using a Board(s) as a Plan source, rather than a filter.  Just my experience, however, and I could be wrong.

Prashantha March 23, 2023

I tried that as well, finally someone advied me to move the Epics manually (drag and drop) under Initiative..and that's what I am doing now.

John Elder March 24, 2023

Make sure to leverage the "Parent Link" field within Epics, so the parent/child link is "official".  Otherwise, the hierarchy you are setting up will only be 'viewable' in Plans.  :)

Like Magdalena Zhisheva likes this
0 votes
Magdalena Zhisheva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2023

Hi @Prashantha ,

Have you tried to click on Filters -> Hierarchy -> From to be Initiative?

Hope it helps! 

Prashantha March 23, 2023

Yes, I have 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events