Epics not showing up on the side panel in the backlog view

Leah Bensoussan June 30, 2021

My epics are not showing up on the side panel in the backlog view.

It displays the message "We're having trouble retrieving your epics" with a button to try again. When I hit try again it throws this error: SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0. 

Note all the epics do show up when I run a search query, as well as on the epics field dropdown  on each issue. 

How can I get them to display on the side panel and what does this error mean? 

1 answer

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2021

Hello @Leah Bensoussan,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Just for a better understanding of the issue, I would like to know if you are using a team-managed (next-gen) or company-managed (classic) project.

If it’s team-managed, have you tried to disable and enable the Epic panel again?

If it’s company-managed, was there any change on the board filter?

Are you able to view the Epics on the project Roadmap?

Kind regards,
Angélica

Leah Bensoussan July 2, 2021

It is a company-managed (classic) project.

There were no changes made to the board filter.

Epics show up on the roadmap as well. 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2021

Thank you for the details, Leah.

Can you please open the developer tools on your browser and check on the console tab if it shows any additional error? 

If possible, share with us a screenshot of the error (just make sure to hide private information).

Also, I saw that you are a user on two different Cloud sites, so just to make sure I search the logs for the correct site, can you let me know if the issue is happening on the site where the URL starts with “mc” or “do”?

Leah Bensoussan July 5, 2021

Issue is happening on the site where the URL starts with "mc". Please see screenshot of error console below. 

Screenshot 2021-07-05 092211.png

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 5, 2021

Thank you for testing and for sharing the screenshot, Leah.

Searching the logs of your site, there is nothing specific related to Epics.

Can you please check the developer tools again, but this time, the Network tab, then if it shows any error 5XX, click on it and check the Response tab and let us know the message.

If possible, check and send us the x-trace-id and x-request-id from the Headers tab.

Something that I forgot to ask before, have you tested using another browser and test with all extensions disabled?

Is it affecting other users?

Was this project migrated from Server or migrated from team-managed to the company-managed project?

Leah Bensoussan July 6, 2021

Checked the Network tab and there are no 5XX errors.

"name": "X-Trace-Id", "value": "c5caf947f7b9edf5"

"name": "x-request-id", "value": "8685439dc23b808d"

Tried in Firefox (as opposed to Chrome) and got this error instead: SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data.

Both browsers don't have any extensions enabled. 

It is affecting other users as well. 

Project was not migrated, but rather created from scratch.  

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 7, 2021

Thank you, Leah.

I searched for the trace id here, but it didn’t return anything. It usually would point to the cause of the issue, but I filtered by the last 30 days and no results.

I’m creating a ticket with our support on your behalf, so if you allow, we can access your site and the specific project, so we can check the logs at the same time the issue is happening. I’m also adding an internal comment with all the tests and information you provided.

You will receive a notification and soon someone will contact you.

Leah Bensoussan July 7, 2021

appreciated, thank you!

Ran CHENG February 26, 2022

I'm suffering from the same issue here...

Suggest an answer