Epics not showing up in software scrum project board

Sigrid Schoepel February 19, 2021

I started a new project to track go-to-market tasks. We are in Jira in the cloud.

If I set the issues as tasks, they cannot have dates set against them so we can use the roadmap as a gantt chart, but they do show up in the sprint board.

If I set the issues as epics, we can set dates for them and use the roadmap, but they do not show up in the sprint board.

Is there a way to make both occur? I want all the issues in the sprint to show up in the roadmap and in the sprint board.

3 answers

0 votes
Linda Chang October 13, 2022

I also have such issue, the EPIC was reopened and repurposed from a previously closed EPIC.  I made sure the EPIC was reopened, Status = Open,  the Resolution field cleared, and no resolved date.  Researched internet and community if there some other field can be cleaned up, but cannot find.

So brute force is created a new EPIC from the EPIC Panel, reparent the children, then close the EPIC that won't show.

I would still like to know which field/s the EPIC panel is based of if a way to fix.  But for now use the brute force.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2022

Hi @Sigrid Schoepel  - Did you ever try Bill's approach?

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2021

Hi @Sigrid Schoepel 

Things to try depend upon a couple of things:

1. How is your team using epics and tasks?
  2. Are you using a Classic or Next-Gen project?

Regarding (1): Teams often use epics to manage a large, valuable chunk of work, typically composed of tasks (or user stories).  Your team seems not to be making that distinction, so I am unclear why you are using a roadmap, which also often is used for larger chunks of work and time-frames.  If they are interchangeable for your team, maybe just use epics, and...

Regarding (2): If you are using a Classic project, you can edit the filter.  (This ability will eventually be available for Next-Gen, according to Atlassian's own roadmap.)  Until then, with a Classic project and board you could disable the epic panel and only use/show epics on the board.  Then you would have sprints with epics and a roadmap showing them also.  I am uncertain how much this will impact the other reports (burn, velocity, etc.) so you may want to experiment with a test project.

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events