Epic summary of estimate Time

databased November 8, 2019

I've searched for a hour now but I can't find the solution.

1. Why doesn't an Epic summarise the estimated time from linked issues?

2. I know its possible that an Epic can show the summarised time in backlog view. But I just can't find it

Can someone help me please thanks!

Untitled.png

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrej Freeze greenique
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2019

Hello @databased ,

the Epic Panel shows different information based on the type of Board you have created.

Using a Kanban Board, you can find the total amount of issues and completed issues for your epic and your estimations are only visible, if you add them to the issues card layout. This is exactly what you did in your case, therefore the estimation is display in a second line.

If you use a Scrum Board, you have the option to set up estimation and decide, whether estimation is done in time or story points. The selected value will then also be shown within your epic panel, and on the same line as your summary on issue cards.

Let me know if I was able to help you out.

Brindha Ravichandran February 19, 2020

Is this option available for Classic project?

Edoardo Polito September 3, 2020

It's hard for me to understand the solution:

So, if I have a Knaban board, in order to show estimates on the Epic panel, I need to uncheck 'Original Estimate' from the card layout? Or?

Thanks.

Andrej Freeze greenique
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2020

Hello @Edoardo Polito 

That's not quite it. Tu put it simple: On Kanban Boards you cannot display the value in your Epic panel. As a workaround you can add the Sum of Original Estimate field (or any other relevant sum) to the issue card layout.

Cheers 

Shimon Bitton November 24, 2021

Hi Andrej, 

How do you configure this workaround ? I mean how do you add the Sum of Original Estimate field to the issue card layout ?

Thanks,

Shimon.

Andrej Freeze greenique
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 27, 2021

Hey @Shimon Bitton ,

Within your Kanban Boards Configuration navigate to Card Layout. Here you have the option to add more fields. Simply select the relevant fields and click on Add. No additional saving is needed.

At the end of this list, you should be able to see four Sigma (Σ) fields. They automatically exist and hold sums for your issue. Their names are:

• Σ Original Estimate
  • Σ Progress
  • Σ Remaining Estimate
  • Σ Time Spent

Screenshot 2021-12-27 092052.jpg

Cheers

Andrej

Like # people like this
0 votes
databased November 9, 2019

Thanks for effort. Adding a Scrum board to the project was the solution!

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2019

first, unless something has changed in cloud, you won't see "time" summed up at the epic level w/o and addon, e.g. Epic Sum Up. However, regarding you image which shows the number of issues (not time) can you check to ensure that the Resolution is set for any complete items?

Andrea Jacobson March 1, 2023

Thank you! Epic Sum Up is what I needed.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer