Epic Time Estimate

Francois Roux May 15, 2018

So we are implementing a finance module which consists of 15 Epics. Under each epic there is between 9 to 24 issues(tasks)

Some tasks take minutes so it's tiresome to add 5 minutes to each issue or less.

Is it possible to just add time spent when you are done with an issue under the epic?

Also is it possible to then add an estimate to the Epic and correlate that with time spent?

3 answers

1 vote
Dimitrios Doukas August 9, 2019

Having time estimates per epic is more important now with the New Gen Projects where Epics are shown on the Roadmap timeline. Adding a time estimate to an Epic could adjust its size on the Roadmap, making it a good tool for planning.

Kian Rieben November 15, 2019

I agree! And it would be a must that time tracking at the tasks/sub-tasks level are count against Epic estimate!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Tony Kriel December 26, 2018

Maybe a bit late, but instead of Epics/tasks, use Tasks/Sub-tasks. This will allow you to aff estimate to the main task, and track here, but still have the details of each task. 

Subtasks have their own set of problems though, especially if working across multiple sprints. So would depend on what you need out of it.

Brindha Ravichandran February 19, 2020

We are using Classic project in Jira(Cloud) , trying to find out how to find out the time estimates at the epic level when each issues have sub tasks which are estimated hourly. 

Like Carlos Cruz Luengo likes this
0 votes
Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2018

Francois,

If Time Tracking is on and you've Time Estimate on the task screens, why not have users enter time after they're done with each ticket?

Please see link below

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/logging-time-on-issues-902499028.html

Victor

Francois Roux May 15, 2018

My point is that I dont want to put a time estimate per issue, but only on the epic

Like James Newell likes this
Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2018

In that case, i don't think it's possible with the way JIRA is, unless there's an add-on out there.

Suggest an answer