Epic Link missing from issue view

Eugene Dementiev December 20, 2018

If an issue is a sub-task of an epic, it does not show the epic link in its issue view.

Is this something that is configurable? I'd really like to see the epic link for everything that is in that epic's hierarchy.

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2018

Hello @Eugene Dementiev

Currently, epic link custom field doesn't seem to be available for the issue types in the next-gen projects nor is the field supported by next gen projects

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17239

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17389

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2018

image.png

If you see in the above screenshot, it lists the fields which we can configure (including certain types of custom fields) but there is no epic link field which can be added on the story or on the sub-task

Nimit Shah
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 9, 2023

@Tarun Sapra Is there any update on this issue? I am still unable to see Epic Link in my story and task

Like Isabella Eslava likes this
1 vote
Krisna Leo Parista July 13, 2021

If you can see your subtask in your backlog, just try to drag themdrag.png

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2018

Also, please note that "Epic link" field is only available for issues which are added to epics in the epic view by clicking on the "plus" sign. If you have a sub-task added to an epic it will never show the epic link in the issue view of itself because the relationship between sub-task and epic is that of parent-child relationship just like story-subtask and not the "epic link" relationship. 

As these 2 are completely different relationships in Jira (Epic-Story link (epic link)) And (Parent - child) relationships

Eugene Dementiev December 21, 2018

That's disappointing that no bright clue is visible for epic sub tasks when viewing them.. 

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2018

Hello @Eugene Dementiev

Having the parent reference of a sub-task visible in the issue navigator view is an open ticket

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-16589

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2018

When viewing the sub-task you do see the parent's issue key in the listing, the issue key of parent is listed just before the sub-task's issue key

Eugene Dementiev December 21, 2018

Thanks for pointing the ticket out. I'm not sure it exactly covers this case, and it does not look like it would be addressed any way.

> When viewing the sub-task you do see the parent's issue key in the listing, the issue key of parent is listed just before the sub-task's issue key

Sure, that makes sense for an abstract task-subtask relationship. However, I think that all items under an epic regardless of their type should have a clear and very visible and consistent indication that they belong to that epic. It would make sense to add if not a an actual 'epic link' but at least an 'epic badge' to the issue view of all its tasks, subtasks, bugs etc. That's all I'm saying.

Like # people like this
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2018

Hello @Eugene Dementiev

Yes, I can understand why it's required, as I have implemented something very similar to your requirements in the Jira server version using Script runner plugin 's scripted fields. 

Like Eugene Dementiev likes this
0 votes
Farhad M January 22, 2022

Hi,
I have another question: how can i delete a story/task from an epic?

0 votes
ed_lucas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 20, 2020

This would be a great feature to have on NGP. I have to make a task and then manually open it again on backlog which isn't ideal.

Suggest an answer