Epic Feature Story Hierarchy?

Hi,

Here Initiative Epic Feature Story Task is the Hierarchy want to achieve.

Portfolio take care of Initiative-Epic

The problem comes with Epic-Feature-Story, how to achieve?

With Structure plugin, I linked Epic Feature and Story but the problem is when I update story tickets there's no progress in Epic in the Agile Backlog Board, epic progress gets updated only when the feature is updated there's no relation between stories and epics now.

I don't think we can rename default Epic Issue Type and change it to Feature?

Dave

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Dave,

You can actually change the name of the Field that will work as an Epic on Agile boards to anything you want, including Feature.

The parameter that makes JIRA treat the type as Agile Epic is Description, which says: gh.issue.epic.desc

Here is an example of such setup:

https://structure-safe-jira.almworks.com/secure/StructureBoard.jspa?s=197&os_username=demo&os_password=demo

As for rollin-up progress, you should be able to see it in Structure. If something doesn't work, please let us know and we'll be happy to look into it. You can leave a comment here or open a ticket in our JIRA:

support.almworks.com

Thanks,

Eugene (ALM Works)

Thanks a lot for help.

good to know, about gh.issue.epic.desc

Hi Dave,

I was curious if you ended up just using Portfolio and changed the name of Epic to achieve your desired hierarchy? Or if you ended up using Structure.  I was about to do a similar test using Portfolio and was just curious of your outcome.

Thanks,

Deni

Hi Dave, Deni,

A quick update on the Strucutre side - we've added support for Portfolio Parent links so you can now use two tools together (most customers would use Porfolio for planning and Strucutre to tracking and other everyday activities).

Here is a series of blog posts covering this use case. Maybe it will be useful for you:

http://almworks.com/blog/2017-01-track-portfolio-plans-real-time.html

Regards,

Eugene (ALM Works) 

You must consider the agility of the story

Hi Eugene, which credentials can I use to see your example in Jira?Best regards, Davor.

Hi Davor,

demo/demo should work. Please let me know!

Regards,

Eugene

Shedyk I'm New Here Jul 25, 2018

Hi Eugine,
Link for changing epic description no longer works.

I get message Unavailable item

Hi Shedyk,

I'm not sure what could be the case there. Maybe something was changed in the later versions of Jira. 

What might be worth checking is this addon:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218959/safe-epic-to-feature-translator-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

I haven't tried it myself yet, but it seems like a good far more complete solution for this scenario - it even translates the link type name and works for JQL queries too.

I hope this helps.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

593 views 25 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you