It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Epic Feature Story Hierarchy?

Hi,

Here Initiative Epic Feature Story Task is the Hierarchy want to achieve.

Portfolio take care of Initiative-Epic

The problem comes with Epic-Feature-Story, how to achieve?

With Structure plugin, I linked Epic Feature and Story but the problem is when I update story tickets there's no progress in Epic in the Agile Backlog Board, epic progress gets updated only when the feature is updated there's no relation between stories and epics now.

I don't think we can rename default Epic Issue Type and change it to Feature?

Dave

2 answers

1 accepted

Hi Dave,

You can actually change the name of the Field that will work as an Epic on Agile boards to anything you want, including Feature.

The parameter that makes JIRA treat the type as Agile Epic is Description, which says: gh.issue.epic.desc

Here is an example of such setup:

https://structure-safe-jira.almworks.com/secure/StructureBoard.jspa?s=197&os_username=demo&os_password=demo

As for rollin-up progress, you should be able to see it in Structure. If something doesn't work, please let us know and we'll be happy to look into it. You can leave a comment here or open a ticket in our JIRA:

support.almworks.com

Thanks,

Eugene (ALM Works)

Thanks a lot for help.

good to know, about gh.issue.epic.desc

Hi Dave,

I was curious if you ended up just using Portfolio and changed the name of Epic to achieve your desired hierarchy? Or if you ended up using Structure.  I was about to do a similar test using Portfolio and was just curious of your outcome.

Thanks,

Deni

Hi Dave, Deni,

A quick update on the Strucutre side - we've added support for Portfolio Parent links so you can now use two tools together (most customers would use Porfolio for planning and Strucutre to tracking and other everyday activities).

Here is a series of blog posts covering this use case. Maybe it will be useful for you:

http://almworks.com/blog/2017-01-track-portfolio-plans-real-time.html

Regards,

Eugene (ALM Works) 

You must consider the agility of the story

Hi Eugene, which credentials can I use to see your example in Jira?Best regards, Davor.

Hi Davor,

demo/demo should work. Please let me know!

Regards,

Eugene

Hi Eugine,
Link for changing epic description no longer works.

I get message Unavailable item

Hi Shedyk,

I'm not sure what could be the case there. Maybe something was changed in the later versions of Jira. 

What might be worth checking is this addon:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218959/safe-epic-to-feature-translator-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

I haven't tried it myself yet, but it seems like a good far more complete solution for this scenario - it even translates the link type name and works for JQL queries too.

I hope this helps.

What? Jira is unable to create the following hierarchy out of the box?

• Epic
    • Feature
      • Story
        • Task (Deve, Test, etc)
        • Bug

So how do you view details for tracking purposes.  This is all out of the box functionality in Team Foundation Server.

If Jira does not allow this or does not understand that this is basic Agile/Scrum software development then its not fit for purpose.

Like # people like this

That's a pretty myopic view. Adding additional layers isn't very "Agile", and Jira is built around those best practices. This hierarchy is entirely possible and not difficult, but why create the additional overhead?

My perspective is that there are no best practices; only better ones.

Assuming the tools we use are the *only ways to solve problems* seems team-limiting to me.  I would rather use flexible tools which allow teams to start where they are, and gradually improve.  That includes when a team needs multiple levels/sizes of work items to manage their work...until they reach a point where all their work items are MVPe sized (minimum viable product experiments).

Absolutely agree.  this seems to be part of the 'born on small teams and projects' heritage of Jira.   Once there are 15 to 20 stories and the attached  bugs, and sub-tasks, Epics start becoming too mushy and hard to navigate.  An additional layer of focus is very valuable... but can't seem to find a reliable way to do it in Jira.

I just keep getting some raw wood and am told to get a saw and start building because Jira is so flexible and customizable.  What makes me so frustrated about using Jira (compelled to do so at the moment) is I don't get paid to build tools, I get paid to create commercial features.   This is not a hobby for me it is a job and I get measured by output not cool things that don't create revenue.   Creating those scale tools is Jira's job.

Unfortunately, management is convinced that Jira does everything necessary... but doesn't like the massive wads of stories that accumulate as the project builds.

Like # people like this

We created a new issuetype "Feature" and custom links, but managing/tracking these are very tiresome without plugins. Btw, plugins are too costly to go for....

I am also looking for a view showing this simple hierarchy since my pieces of work are that big and need the break down to be small enough in a sprint. How can you make that visisble in Structure or Portfolio?

It is a quite basic requirement. 

Hi Magnus,

Thanks for your post. 

If you could share a bit more information about your specific hierarchy (Issue Types used, how many levels etc...), I'd be more than happy to make some recommendations.

But as an example, you could take advantage of Structure's Automation Feature to bring your Epics into a structure, using the Insert Generator. Once you do that, you could use the Extend Generator to visualize Stories under Epics, Linked Issues under Stories, and Sub-Tasks as needed. You could even Group your Issues by Sprint after that.

I wanted to briefly mention how Structure could help you visualize your Jira issues but I'll be more than happy to address your particular case in more detail if you'd like. I can be reached at vlad@almworks.com and our Support Team is always eager to help at support@almworks.com.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best Regards,

Vlad

[ALM Works]

Hello, 

As a PO I just want to get a default view of the following SAFe tree structure. I want to be able to drill down in the tree structure down to task in one view so I quickly can overview what is planned and refined. 

Epic

• Feature
    • Story
      • Task (Dev, Test, etc)
      • Bug
Like # people like this

Hi Magnus,

There are a couple different ways to achieve this. I recommend using the Automation Feature to get to the desired results. For instance, you could start by Inserting your Epics into the structure:

1. Automation > + > Insert > JQL Query: Type = Epicor Type = Epic and Project = YourProject (in case you need to be more specific)
  2. You would then bring in the Features under the Epics. For that, you'd use an Extender: Automation > + >Extend > Choose the right option - choose the appropriate option ("Stories under Epics" if Features are linked to Epics with Epic Links or "Linked Issues" if there's a particular Link Type used in Jira between the 2 Issue Types.
  3. Show Stories under Features: Automation > + >Extend > Linked Issues - All available Link Types in Jira will be presented as options to choose from. You will also get a chance to set the Link Direction and Extend Levels (level 3 applies here to show Stories under Features)

Simply repeat step 3 to show Tasks and Bugs under Stories by choosing the appropriate Link Types. 

Note: Please always make sure you're focusing on the top level of your structure (the row with your structure's name will be highlighted in blue) to ensure that the Generators are being properly applied to the whole structure.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance. Our Support Team can also be reached through our Service Desk portal by emailing support@almworks.com.

Best Regards,

Vlad

hi @Vlad-ALM Works-

how can I achieve that using portfolio? (with that I mean Initiative, Epic, Feature, Story, task)  I'using a Cloud version of Jira so Structure is not available yet. Thanks in advance

Luciana 

Like # people like this

Hi Luciana,

I'm sorry I previously missed your comment. In case you're still looking for help, here are a couple articles that should be useful in helping you setup hierarchies with Portfolio:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/how-to-create-a-new-hierarchy-level-in-portfolio-for-jira-941618926.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/configuring-initiatives-and-other-hierarchy-levels-828785179.html

In regards to Structure Cloud, a launch is planned for the spring of 2019. To that end, the first Early Access Program (EAP) release was on January 15th, 2019.  If you'd like, you may request access to Structure Cloud EAP releases via this page

Even better, if you're willing to share your feedback with us you may also ask to join the Structure Cloud EAP on that page.

Best Regards,

Vlad

ALM Works

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

Managing Incidents - The roof is on FIRE!

The roof is on FIRE… network outages, broken processes, upset clients and employees. Each day seemed to bring more and more issues. Incidents were communicated via email, messengers (skype or teams) ...

125 views 0 1
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you