Enter Value Error

Tshepo November 7, 2012

Good-day

We recently recieving this error message when creating an issue and have all permission.

Error

The following validation errors were found:
Summary: You must enter a value for this value Please correct them

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tshepo November 8, 2012

It works fine with other users including mine but fir this specific user it doesnt create issues and he has permissions to this project. Field is not deleted and we use it to identify our issues.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2012

Does the summary field appear when the user clicks "create"?

If it does, do they get a different error if they leave it blank? What exactly happens if they fill it in and commit?

The error you are seeing does not look like the standard "You must enter a summary" error in Jira, so it could be from a validator you've added - you might want to check that as well.

Tshepo November 9, 2012

Yes it does appear. If you dont fill it in it tells you that is mandatory to fill this field.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2012

Ok, that error is not the error message I get when I leave a summary blank, which strongly implies something else is giving it. What validators do you have on "create"?

Could you also check what happens when the user who is having a problem EDITS an existing issue? Just get them to blank out the summary and try to commit it (no need to actually get it through), to see what the error message is - and the same for a user who is not struggling?

Tshepo November 11, 2012

Sorry man..the error says You must specify a summary of the issue when i get when I leave a summary blank

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2012

I don't know which question you're answering now. Could you lay out each test you have done, and what the result is here? Without interpreting the results - just the plain text of the error message, unedited.

Tshepo November 11, 2012

Ok..i was referring to summary field if is blank and they create a ticket; it syas "You must specify a summary of the issue". I have asked the user to as you requested (Could you also check what happens when the user who is having a problem EDITS an existing issue? Just get them to blank out the summary and try to commit it (no need to actually get it through), to see what the error message is - and the same for a user who is not struggling?)

I will let you know once i have areceived a feedback from the user..thanks.

Tshepo November 27, 2012

Hi! This error is happening to me now as well. When i edit an existing issue blank out the summary it says "You must specify a summary of the issue."

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2012

Yes, that's correct. The summary is a mandatory field.

That's not an error or a problem, it's telling you that you can't blank out the summary.

Tshepo November 27, 2012

Yes, thats correct. But why when type information i receive this error:

You must enter a value for this Filed Please correct them, have attached an error message as well

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2012

That's because you have set a field as mandatory, and then left it blank (it might not even be on the screen).

This is exactly what this conversation is about - you are not filling in data for a field you have set as mandatory. I'm struggling to help you because you don't answer the questions I ask which would clarify where you have set the field mandatory and why you can't do it.

Tshepo November 27, 2012

On the attachement i have send you sir, it shows that there is data i have put on the field hence when i create it gives me this error..

Check my screenshot summary field.PNG file attached? or do you want me to send you an email with the file?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2012

There are no attachments on this question.

Tshepo November 27, 2012

I uploaded images twice..its fine then..can i have your email so that i send you the attachement?

Tx

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2012

Sorry, I know "Answers" does this sometimes - it pretends to let you upload images, but doesn't actually do it.

I don't really need a screenshot, I just need a clear description of what you are seeing. So, can you tell me:

• What action you are performing - Edit, Create issue, or a transition
  • A list of the editable fields on the screen
  • The full text of the error message you are getting after the user clicks the commit
  • (Useful, but not critical) Where the error message appears on the screen

Please do not try to answer other questions you think I might have - keep it simple, as I'm getting very confused by your answers.

Tshepo November 27, 2012

1. Action

Create an issue

2. Fields

Project: "Mandatory field"

Issue type:"Mandatory field"

Summary "Mandatory field"

Description:

Reporter:

3. Error

You must enter a value for this Filed Please correct them

4. Popups after commit above create dialog box.

Thats the reason why in IT support is better when you see an attachement error message so that it makes sense to do investigation.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2012

Ok, good. That error message is spelt incorrectly, so I doubt it's a Jira error and that implies you are using some form of validation plugin on the create issue transition. (Just in case it was a spelling mistake in Jira's core, could you tell us what version of Jira you are on? 5.1.8? It should be on the footer of every page)

Go to the workflow and find your "create" transition and view the validators on it (I think you'll need to be in edit-workflow mode to see them, that's fine, we're not going to commit any changes). That will tell you what validator you have attached, and the configuration for it should also list the field you've told it to treat as mandatory

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2012

Ok, good. That error message is spelt incorrectly, so I doubt it's a Jira error and that implies you are using some form of validation plugin on the create issue transition. (Just in case it was a spelling mistake in Jira's core, could you tell us what version of Jira you are on? 5.1.8? It should be on the footer of every page)

Go to the workflow and find your "create" transition and view the validators on it (I think you'll need to be in edit-workflow mode to see them, that's fine, we're not going to commit any changes). That will tell you what validator you have attached, and the configuration for it should also list the field you've told it to treat as mandatory

Oh, and to eliminate it as the error - make sure that you enter a summary

Tshepo November 28, 2012

1. JIRA v5.1

2. Not using any validators on the transition

Whats funny Nic when i encounter that error after commit, i close it and recreate issue again and it pulls through..funny dont you think?

Tshepo November 28, 2012

This happend after the upgrade from Jira 4.3 to 5.1

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 28, 2012

I honestly don't understand where you are getting the error message. The incorrect spelling tells me it's not Jira, so it must be a plugin or some code you've customised.

I'd expect that message and behaviour to be done by a validator, but you say there are none. That doesn't seem right to me, by default, there IS a validator on the create transition, and it's one that is pretty much essential - can you confirm that you have that? Tell me what it is.

The next thing to look at if we can conclusively rule out a validator is javascript - it's starting to sound like you've got javascript that is trying, and failing, to do validation in the browser. Could you have a look for that? It'll be buried in the html page at least - one easy way to find it would be to look for the spelling mistake...

I'm also concerned that something odd happens when you do this a second time. That actually implies that there is something wrong with your browser, or that the paragraph above is the issue.

Tshepo November 28, 2012

Hi, I have disabled the behavoius plugin and looks like i dont get any error message. But whats funny i didnt setup any validators or condition on the plugin itself.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 28, 2012

Right, so it's looking like that plugin is causing it - it inserts a number of hooks into the issue screen, so you'll need to work out what you have done. It might not even be a validator or condition - it could be one of the hooks doing something odd.

I'd check the versions of the plugin are right for your Jira first, updating if you're not on the latest compatible version. Then do some debugging if you can - open the page in plain text, and check through the javascript (Again, looking for that spelling mistake). If you get stuck, raise it with the plugin's author.

1 vote
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2012

Have you tried entering a summary? :-)

Maybe you have deleted this field from the create issue screen but the field is mandatory...

Cheers

Suggest an answer