Ensure correct Reporter is assigned, even if using domain alias on incoming email?

Brian Latimer August 23, 2016

We have a series of scripts which run on incoming emails, converting them to JIRA tickets in the appropriate project.  This automation works perfectly, including assigning the "Reporter" to be the user account associated with the sending address.

The problem is that we also have a domain alias - and emails which come from addresses at this alias, do not work as needed; they default to being listed with a creator of our catch-all account ("Triage").

In other words:

• Incoming messages from "JoeSmith@domain.com" are correctly recognized, associating the JIRA user "Joe Smith" with that email address, and specifying the Reporter for the resulting JIRA ticket accordingly

but

• Incoming messages from "JoeSmith@domainalias.com" are NOT recognized; the user "cannot be found", so all such messages default to simply utilizing a catch-all account as the Reporter

Is there any way to associate both the domain and domainalias with all of our user accounts, so that tickets reported from either string, will be correctly recognized - and the associated user account used for subsequent processing?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2016

There's no way to do this with the standard email handlers.  They are working on the basic assumption that the sender of the email is a JIRA user who can create issues, but the emails are not being sent by an email address it can recognise.  JoeSmith has an email address of domain.com, not domainalias.com.

Some options might be:

1. Dummy accounts (ugly because Joe would have two accounts)
  2. Find/write a new handler
  3. Install an email proxy with a rewrite in it

Unfortunately, I don't think options 2 and 3 can be done on Cloud.

Brian Latimer August 23, 2016

That, unfortunately, makes sense.  Thanks for the insights.

Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2016

Brian, how /where is the 'true source' of user registration, do you have an LDAP server somewhere?  Potentially this is something we can add to JEMHC (Enterprise Mail Handler for JIRA cloud), we already have the same solution with JEMH (for JIRA server), the example here is when a user with an account in ActiveDirectory sends from a different address that is aliased to the same user, JEMH can hen query LDAP and assert the correct user is in context

Doing that for cloud is possible, but we haven't hit this scenario in cloud yet.

Brian Latimer August 27, 2016

Thanks, Andy!  I don't believe we're using an internal LDAP server - just using Google logins for account tracking, and handling the domain alias.  I like the idea of JEMH … but don't think we'll be able to move off of the cloud, at least for the time being.

In investigating further, I found https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3160 … which would obviously handle this situation quite nicely - as well as allowing for messages personal email addresses to all be recognized as being from the same user account.  I'm dismayed to see that it appears this is not to be addressed, however.

Suggest an answer