Ensure assignee is from a certain set of users

David Hollinshead April 13, 2016

Hi, I'm new to jira. I'm trying to model our software development process.

I've got two states "Planning" and "In Development" and a transition I've called "Assign to Developer". What I'd like to achieve is to have the assignee set to one of our developers (a subset of all users) after the transition is complete.

I've been playing with groups, roles, transition conditions and validators and screens but can't seem to be able to do it.

Any advice please?

Regards David

3 answers

1 vote
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2016

hi

I have a different approach. I don't know if it meets your requirements but it is a good one and we use it with one of our clients. you can create a pool of issues that are assigned to developers. you can achieve this by creating a user with a joint mail (like a mail group), adding all your developers to this mail group and assigning the issue to this user. after that, one of your developers can assign to her/himself.

if not, I recommend you use workflow properties but as Nic said, they are a little bit challenging.

David Hollinshead April 13, 2016

Neat trick. I like it as it is simple.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2016

Remember that this is effectively "group assignee" which JIRA doesn't support , and does not work well in real life (the assignee is always responsible, and if it's a dummy user or assigned to a group, you can pretty much guarantee the ball will be dropped with people in the group thinking someone else needs to do it)

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2016

The assignee selection list is controlled by the permission scheme - there's a line for "assignable user"

That is generalised, it allows for the assignable user at all points in the workflow.  If you want something like "all users assignable, but when the issue is in status "development", only allow it to go to developers", then you need to use "workflow properties" to control the permission.  (Note that this can be quite hard to get right, as the properties only apply to status and you probably want to do things like "assign during transition")

0 votes
Rodrigo Silva
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2016

Hey David!

I believe you can find the solution for your request through this old topic:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/321362/auto-assign-per-user-picker-field

I hope that helps!

Cheers, Rodrigo Silva.

Suggest an answer