Emojis in JIRA Issue Summary

Toni Takei February 17, 2019

At a previous company, our Product Owner often used to prefix issue summary (titles) with emojis to indicate Spike, or more work needed, etc. I would love to use this capability but I'm unable to find any information on it online.

Can someone please help?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jimmy Van (GLiNTECH)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2019

Hi Toni,

I think this is a Chrome question rather than a Jira question.

If you right click in a field, then you can add emojis. The keyboard shortcut for Windows is Win + period.

rightclick.png

emoji pick.png

As you can, Jira can handle it as it's a standard Unicode character.

That said, consider having a separate issue type for spikes. I've seen that work well at many clients.

1 vote
Gurpreet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2019

you can also import your own emojis. you will need to be site administrator for this. 

to upload custom emojis go to site administration > site settings , you will find Emoji option. 

we are using jira cloud so am not sure if this one is there in jira server or not. 

secondly the win + period shortucut will only work if you have win 10 fall creators update as this is a feature provided by windows. 

HTH

PinkPhoenix October 23, 2019

I imported my own "Custom Emojis" but am unable to figure out how and where to use them? I was trying to use them in a comment on a task, but my custom emojis do not show up in the list of emojis. Any ideas?

Janene Pappas
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2020

Where are you finding the ability to import custom emojis? I am the site admin for our Jira Cloud instance and I do not find this anywhere?

- found it, never mind

Like Yerko Mancilla Berrios likes this
ben friedman May 17, 2021

where did you find it???

Like Pierre Heinrich likes this
Kerli Loopman August 16, 2023

Atlassian Administration -> Products -> Site settings / Emoji

Suggest an answer