Email notifications aren't sending

Accounting Dept September 10, 2020

Our jira software server is not sending email notifications.

We can send a TEST email with no problem, but no notifications for actual issues are sent.

Notification helper is showing that messages should be sent, but they aren't arriving and aren't in the spam folder.

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2020

I have seen this happen when the mail queue service on the server gets stuck.  This usually has to do with Java memory and a stuck thread.  A quick system restart will fix the issue but it may return if you do not have the correct heap size. 

Here is a troubleshooting guide you can use.  I would look into the memory first. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/troubleshoot-notifications-in-jira-203394737.html#:~:text=Ensure%20you've%20properly%20configured,for%20Out%20of%20Memory%20errors. 

Accounting Dept September 10, 2020

Hi Brant,

I rebooted the system, didn't change anything. We'll play around with the heap size a bit...thanks for the suggestion.

I should clarify that the email notifications have NEVER actually worked...not sure if that makes a difference.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2020

Please make sure that outgoing email is enabled on the server.  It can be turned off and test messages will go out.  If that is enabled please make sure that everything is setup properly (https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/configuring-email-notifications-938847633.html)

Accounting Dept September 11, 2020

We're just using default notification scheme and the notification helper confirms we should receive the emails. Not sure what we might be missing.screenshot.png

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2020

Did you confirm that outgoing email is enabled on the server?   Even if the email server is disabled the notification helper will say everything is fine.  Please check the server by going to System>Outgoing Email

It should look like this:

email.PNG

Accounting Dept September 14, 2020

Hi,

Yes outgoing mail is enabled.

Accounting Dept September 15, 2020

Any other suggestions? I'm still lost here.

Accounting Dept December 26, 2020

Atlassian Team, 

this issue is still ongoing with no end in sight... can we get on a quick zoom or remote access so that you can look over the current config.

Suggest an answer