Email custom group

Casey Daniell December 8, 2015

After creating a custom filter for issues, I want to subscribe a group of people to receive the report.  JIRA only allows me to select from predefined AD groups, but I would like to enter a list of user names. Is this possible? 

2 answers

0 votes
Michael Hackley October 23, 2019

In Jira 7.8, you can type in a group email address for any email user or group that exists on your mail server.  For example, if you have an email group called all@abc.com, you can type that email address in after you click the "share" button on any Jira issue.  It's not the best solution, but it keeps you from burning Jira licenses for dummy accounts.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2015

What you can do is create a "generic" account with a distribution list as its email address. You may then add this as a "WATCHER" to your issues.

Nathan Davis December 8, 2015

I thought of that, but I am trying to avoid burning JIRA licenses just to notify a custom subset of existing team(s) the status of ISSUES. 

Is there a way to find who is notified of these emails in the DB and update who is emailed by hacking that email address? Maybe there is an add-on that I haven't found?

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2015

The Notification Scheme can be updated with the following, which includes GROUP. Current Assignee Reporter Current User Project Lead Component Lead Single User Group Project Role Single Email Address

Casey Daniell December 29, 2015

If I look at the list of ISSUES, then go to Manage Filters, I want to subscribe a custom email group, not myself, or a JIRA groups, to receive these emails. It looks like this isn't possible,unless I am overlooking it. The Notification Scheme, won't allow a filter to subscribe to it... it's hacky but I could create a new JIRA Group with just the email alias to send the email too, but this could cause future confusion.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2016

That's what I suggested. Create a generic account with an email alias and use that account based on your needs. We are using it and I know some other teams that have that setup too.

Suggest an answer