Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Email body is missing

Edited

I get email notification of Jira project (Jira Server) but in notification get only subject line, email body is missing/blank.

Please let me know if you need more details

1 answer

0 votes

What is the source of these emails?  Notification schemes or something else?

I understand the body is blank, but what are you expecting to get in the body?

Hi Nic,

If any issue has updated in project then users get notification, in that email notification, it is mentioned which issue is assigned to him.

But how are you configuring them?

Is it the notification scheme or something else?

Yes, we are using notification scheme.

The content of the body of an email when you're using notifications is generated by sone hard-coded templates inside the installation of your server.

If they're blank, that suggests that either

• they contain data that Jira cannot render into the body (this can happen when your database is misconfigured, but you should be seeing other errors in day-to-day use, like blank comments being recorded)
  • similarly, they contain data that your email client cannot render into the body (test this by opening the emails in a different email program or webmail)
  • there isn't any body to be rendered (if someone does genuinely manage to generate empty content)
  • someone has changed the templates that render the emails, and got it wrong (If you log in as an admin and go to "system information", check the "modified files section" to see if the email files have been amended)

Thanks Nic,

This issue has related to only single project, rest of the projects are working fine.

Then your admins have edited the templates and put in an "if project =" statement, or they've suppressed all the fields that would go into the body of the email in that project

Hi Nic,

Thank you for your responses.

Actually this issue has been initiated after the Jira upgrade and after when we done database refresh production to development.

Ok, could you tell us a couple more things:

1) The summary/title of any email that has done this.  Feel free to block out or replace text, we just need to see the structure of the text and the event marker

My most recent one says  "[client-Jira][Issue updated] Dave updated ABC-123", I've changed the name of the client, it wasn't Dave and it wasn't ABC-123, but you can see that I want to see the structure of it

2) Is there definitely no body arriving?  If you try to highlight the text of the body in the email client, nothing gets highlighted, not even empty lines or white-on-white text

3) As an admin, can you go to Admin -> General -> System information and look for the line "modified files".  Does that list any files?  (other than the single application.properties file which is always supposed to be modified)

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you