Email Notification for Custom Date Field

Rowan Frankel September 17, 2013

Hi,

I have a custom date field called "Follow-up Date". I want the system to generate an email notification when the Follow-up Date is reached, and send it to both me AND two other people (the Assignee, and another custom single-user field). Is this possible to do? I tried finding an answer here and on Google, and tried searching through the notification scheme options without success.

Thanks

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2013

You can create a filter which filters on your date field ("Follow-up Date" >= startOfDay() and "Follow-up Date" <= endOfDay()) and create a subscription for it which runs once a day (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Receiving+Search+Results+via+Email).

For the other users you have to create a second filter which additionally filters on the assignee and your other user field (... AND (assignee = currentUser() OR myUserField = currentUser())) and create a subscription for all users (e.g. group = jira-users) which runs once a day.

Marta Ogonovska April 1, 2020

Thanks for the brilliant solution Henning, helped me a lot as well!

0 votes
Vladimir Horev _Raley_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2016

You can use Raley Email Notifications (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.vacom.jirassimo/server/overview ) to create a messenger that would: 

Be run using CRON expression (say daily)

and

Send notifications only when issue meets specific condition - in your case ("Follow-up Date" >= startOfDay() and "Follow-up Date" <= endOfDay())

Cheers,

Vladimir

0 votes
Rowan Frankel September 18, 2013

Hi Henning, that is the exact answer I was looking for! I'll report back if it doesn't work. Thanks!

You can create a filter which filters on your date field ("Follow-up Date" >= startOfDay() and "Follow-up Date" <= endOfDay()) and create a subscription for it which runs once a day (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Receiving+Search+Results+via+Email).

For the other users you have to create a second filter which additionally filters on the assignee and your other user field (... AND (assignee = currentUser() OR myUserField = currentUser())) and create a subscription for all users (e.g. group = jira-users) which runs once a day.

0 votes
AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2013

Hey Rowan,

I believe that this is possible with the help of a third-party plugin called The Scheduler. It helps you to create scheduled job for those issues which in turn can be sent for notifications.

You can download a trail version of the plugin, and check whether it will perform what you exactly require.

I hope that was helpful.

Cheers,

0 votes
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2013

You won't be able to do that with JIRA out of the box and there's no plugin that I know of that will do that. You'll probably need to write your own plugin.

Suggest an answer