Email Event Notification for Events "Resolved" and "Closed" Not Working - Need Help

Jackson Chen August 22, 2012

Hi, I've followed Jira's instructions and set up a notification scheme, associated it with a project, and added email notification for events "issue resolved" and "issue closed" for recipient "reporter". However, when a ticket is resolved or closed in said project, no email notification is sent to the reporter of the ticket. Any ideas?

Note: the email notification I've configured for event "issue created" for the same notification scheme and project works just fine (sending it to a single email [distribution list] account). So, the SMTP configs are shouldn't be an issue here. Thank you in advance for your response!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2012

Good start - as you say, if one email goes out, then the email server and process there is fine.

Next things to check (as your notification scheme sounds fine)

Check that the reporter really is nominated in the field (it's possible to set up Jira so that reporter can be changed from "current user")

Check that the reporter has a valid email address that Jira happily delivers to - use "mail servers" -> "send test email"

Finally, is it the reporter making the changes? If it is, check that they do not have "do not mail me on my changes" set in their profile.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2012

And check all of what Nic said ;)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2012

Oops, yes, I missed that one, sorry!

Thank you very much, Nic and John! It was indeed due to the config Notify users of their own changes? = NO under user preferences. I was the assigned reporter, and was the one closing/resolving the tickets in my tests. Thanks again, appreciate your help!

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2012

Can you check if your workflow is throwing those events in those workflow transitions? You can have a Close workflow transition that throws no events or a 'generic Event'. You should make sure the 'Issue Closed' event is thrown at that transition.

Thank you very much, Nic and John! It was indeed due to the config Notify users of their own changes? = NO under user preferences. I was the assigned reporter, and was the one closing/resolving the tickets in my tests. Thanks again, appreciate your help!

Suggest an answer