Editing the project key

Karim Belhadj December 20, 2018

Hi team

I'm reading Atlassian documentation , i found some where that if i change the project key i will need to update board filters, dashboard filter gadgets, and any other global queries with the new key. 

But some where else i read that JQL querry still read the old project key and i do not need to update anything.

Can some one help me to clarify this ?

Regards

3 answers

1 vote
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2018

Hi @Karim Belhadj

when you rename a project key Jira will create a mapping of old and new values that allows the old values to be still found I.e. any links in mails etc will still work.

I would change your queries over to new project keys to avoid confusion.

hi @Tom Lister 

First of all thankyou , but i need to know if i need really to update querry and global filter in gadgets  with the new key ?

Regards

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2018

Hi

you will need to edit gadgets with global filter.

Your other filters will still work but I’d recommend making them consistent 

The problem is that the gadgets with global filter , still works ? and for me it's not normal , i indexed my project nothing changed.

Also what you mean with global filter

0 votes

@Bastian Stehmann sorry for that , but it's work also for the new issues .

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2018

Hi @Tom Lister,

Thank you for this explanation,  then I remembered this wrong.

0 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2018

Hi,

You must edit filters, queries and so on because Jira does the mapping from old issue-id to new issue-id only for the existing issues. New created issues will be found only with their is containing the new project key.

So, everything will work fine for existing issues but will fail for new ones.

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2018

Hi @Karim Belhadj @Bastian Stehmann

JQL queries and quick searches will continue to work for old and new issues even after multiple renames. 

What won't work are gadgets with global filters. An example of this is the Activity Stream. When adding it to the dashboard you can add a global filter such as 'Project=OLDNAME'. When the names are changed this gadget will no longer show any activity. I suspect these use SQL under the hood rather than JQL. Whatever, these gadgets are the only real gotchas.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events