Edit the sign up page

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2011

how to edit the sign up page /secure/signup.jspa

i need to add my own text

You have successfully signed up. If you forget your password, you can have it emailed to you.

Click here to log in.

Stay connected with Atlassian. Subscribe to blogs, newsletters, forums and more.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2011

There are two ways to modify this text (or any other text in the application). Both are unsupported by Atlassian. Also, please be aware that any changes you make will be lost when you upgrade to the next version.

1) (Faster but hackier) Find the the jsp file and edit it directly.

* In this example, the file is located in \atlassian-jira\views\signup-success.jsp .

* Modify it in your favourite text editor and save.

* You may need to delete the Tomcat "work" directory (in the root directory of the JIRA installation) to get your changes to take effect, as Tomcat can cache old versions of the file.

* Note: by writing text directly in the JSP, the string will be hard-coded to the language you write in, regardless of the language your users have JIRA configured to display in. This is bad practice and makes QA engineers cry.

2) (Better) Edit the property string.

* Go to atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\lib and find the JAR file for the language you are using. (e.g. if your users are using English (UK), you will want jira-lang-en_UK-4.3.3.jar). You will probably want to edit jira-lang-default-4.3.3.jar as well. If your users access JIRA in other languages, take the JARs for those languages too.

* Copy each JAR to a temporary directory and extract its contents.

* In each one, edit com\atlassian\jira\web\action\JiraWebActionSupport_<language>.properties and change the text to whatever you'd like it to say. The property to modify in this example is called "signup.success", but for other cases, just search for the existing string. Make sure that you double all apostrophe characters. e.g. "Samir''s dept will create your login"

* Compress the temporary directory contents back into a JAR again. Make sure that the file structure within it is the same as the one you extracted (no extra directories, etc).

* Shut down JIRA.

* Make a backup of the JARs in WEB-INF\lib and copy your new ones into there.

* Start up JIRA again. You may also need to delete the Tomcat "work" directory in order for changes to take effect.

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2011

Hi Penny should i delete this folder you mean?

C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA 4.3.4\work\Catalina

I can t ind Tomcat inside work directory

3 votes
Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2011

Black hawk is going down ) need your help in editing the sign up page !

thanks

3 votes
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 27, 2011

When doing this kind of this, I generally get the source code, search for the string to be replaced and then look to see how the i18n has been implemented.

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2011

Hi David,

can you please give mre details ,I am sorry I didn t get your point

please tell me how to change the email template concerning succesful created user

thanks

David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 1, 2011

@Samir Freelance: I'm suggesting a way to approach the task at hand rather than the solution, which to be honest I don't know the best answer to -- sorry I can't be more helpful this time.

0 votes
Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2011

Penny ,I can t find Tomcat Folder it doesn t exist?!

i can find C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA 4.3.4\work\Catalina catalina folder instead

so i delete catalina folder and restarted service yet no modifficatio or update happened

can you please double check thanks

0 votes
Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2011

I solved it it s under \atlassian-jira\views

Suggest an answer