EazyBI - Time in each status

James Weaver June 6, 2018

I'm new to EazyBi but trying to create a measure that will show how long each issue has spent in each status. i.e if an issue took 40 days from opening to close how do I show it spent 10 days in validation - 10 days in mitigation - 10 days in implementation etc.

Can this be done in EazyBI. 

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Gary Pasquale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2018

Hi @James Weaver,

Yes, eazyBI can be used for that.

And it's relatively simple to set up. We use it for exactly that measurement.

Regards,

Gary

Do you have a demo or an example you can share?

Gary Pasquale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2018

@James Weaver - I have a word doc with some notes I made a while back. But can't attach here. If you share an email address I can forward it to you.

Like rateodoros likes this

Thank you - james-simon-weaver2@hotmail.com

Gary Pasquale
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

Sent

Thaynan Antunes June 18, 2018

could you send it t ome too? Please

thaynan@shift.com.br

Thank you

Ankit Mathur December 26, 2018

Hi Gary,

I would really appreciate it if you could share this with me as well.

ankit.mathur@wunderman.com

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2019

Hello, 

Can someone share this doc?

Thanks 

Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2019

Hi,

No need to share a document

In this case, you could ensure that eazyBI is installed, then create a report with a measure "Days in transition status" and "Transition Status" dimension in columns, and "Issue" dimension in rows.

you could also filter your report by measure "Issues resolved" (by selecting it from Measures, filtering report rows by it and then unselecting it, before you add "Transition Status" dimension) to show only resolved issues in the report.

It would calculate the time in the statuses which are completed (excluding the time in current status).

Martins / eazyBI support

days in transition status for resolved issues.png

Like # people like this
rateodoros May 8, 2019

Hi, Gary. Would you please send me the doc to raphael.silveira@e-core.com? Thanks in advance.

rateodoros May 18, 2019

Hello, everybody!

Would you please send me the doc to raphael.silveira@e-core.com? Thanks in advance.

@James Weaver @Olga Videc @Ankit Mathur @Steve McGee @Gary Pasquale

Miguel Angel Marin June 5, 2019

Hi, @Sir Mārtiņš Vanags  thanks for your solution, works perfect for me.

But, this solution show de "natural" time spent issues in each states... If possible adapt this for the work day? , I need count only time between 8:00AM and 6:00 PM and only of monday to friday

f.e.:

ISSUE_XX1 ( In TO DO between Fri 12:00 PM to Mon 12:00 PM)

* Your solution Show: 72 Hours (3 Days)

* I need that show : 9 hours (6 hours Fri 12:00PM to 18:00PM + 3 hours Mon 9:00 to 12:00 PM)

It this possible ?

I would really appreciate it if you could help me.

Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2019

Hi,

There is also a measure "Workdays in transition status" which would exclude weekends and holidays, but it would still count full days not working hours.

In order to calculate working hours (for only business hours), there would be a need for a more sophisticated calculation to extract working hours and it gets even more complicated if a user who transitions an issue is in a different timezone.

Unfortunately, I can't share some ready examples for such calculation but you could try reaching out to support@eazybi.com 

Martins / eazyBI support

Like # people like this
SMM September 1, 2019

Can you plz share the document strawberry07girl@gmail.com

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2019

Hi!

Is this ready for public ? :) 

Otherwise, gonchik.tsymzhitov@itiviti.com

Cheers, 

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2019

Hi,

There is no such document as you might think.

Instead, please find our documentation page about historical measures:

https://docs.eazybi.com/eazybijira/data-import/jira-issues-import/import-issue-change-history

And see multiple report examples on our demo account.
https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/dashboards/14871-chart-types

Some useful discussions can be found also on our community page:
https://community.eazybi.com/

Martins / eazyBI support

jamila.augustine February 24, 2020

Hi  : Wondering if you could help me here. I would like to display the time in status measure to nearest Tenth s. Eg: Display 288.6934 to 288.7. Thanks!

Edit: I have figured it out. 

Like Janakiraman S likes this
Aravind Koushik Gobburu June 23, 2021

Hi @James Weaver  @Gary Pasquale will you please share me the document  with me also it is so important for me please.Kindly share this to me to the following mail id. arru.aru1516@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance.

0 votes
Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2018

Hi James,

It would be possible to use eazyBI and calculate the time issue spent in a specific status (or even calculate the average result on the project level) by importing issue change history.

Then you could use "Transition Status" dimension and measure "Days in transition status"

You could read more about the transition-related calculations here: https://docs.eazybi.com/display/EAZYBIJIRA/Import+issue+change+history

Please also check two eazyBI sample reports:

https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/cubes/Issues/reports/145950-average-days-in-transition-status

and

https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/cubes/Issues/reports/61947-days-in-backlog

Martins / eazyBI team

Steve McGee November 30, 2018

Good stuff.

"Average" is not as valuable as being able to get the actual, specific days in each status for each issue (and more importantly, for each type of work). 

Because when you are able to capture this - which we can do without software - you can

• generate highly predictable forecasts
  • set reasonable expectations with customers and have everyone be happy
  • manage dependencies easily
  • allocate capacity effectively
  • significantly reduce (eliminate) risk of missing a due date
  • better define policies so staff can make decisions without waiting for managers
  • spend WAY less time estimating, and interrupting expensive people to estimate

etc.

Like rateodoros likes this
Karthiga Sethuraj February 14, 2020

@Sir Mārtiņš Vanags 

I tried to create a bar chart using the instructions provided by you in this thread to get the Average time spent by a set of resolved issues in each status for a given time period.

In Rows, I selected the below dimensions:

- Transition status ("All Transition Statuses"  member)

- Issue

- Time

In Columns,  I selected the below Measures:

- Issues Resolved

- Average workdays in transition status

I am able to get data when I filter by Month in Time dimension but get an empty table when I filter by Weekly Members or a custom hierarchy to get data biweekly.

Could you help debug this issue please ?

Thank you for your help !

Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 16, 2020

@Karthiga Sethuraj 

Our sample reports on the demo account usually work for all default hierarchies from "Time" dimension?

But could you please share more details about your custom hierarchy for biweekly data?

There is no such hierarchy in the "Time" dimension as far as I know.

Martins

report with weekly hierarchy.png

Karthiga Sethuraj February 17, 2020

The report works when I select a month or year or quarter from the Time dimension. As shown in the pic Monthly report. 

Time spent in each status_Monthly data.PNG

Then when I try to select All times under the weekly member in the Time dimension, I get an empty result like shown below in the weekly report.

Time spent in each status_Weekly data.PNG

Regarding the custom hierarchy member All times (2 weeks) , I used the instructions given in the below sample to get data for biweekly iterations. That gives me an empty result as well.

https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/cubes/Issues/reports/103084-issues-created-bi-weekly

Thank you for the help. Let me know if you need more info.

Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2020

Hi,

​Likely, the wrong level from the "Time" dimension is still selected in rows when you switch between hierarchies in page filter.

​Make sure that you have selected the level in the time dimension (when looking at rows) from the same hierarchy that is also used in the Page filter.
​That can be the case if the "Time" dimension is used in both rows/columns and pages.
​See the attached image.

Martins / eazyBI support

level from wrong hierarchy.png

Like Karthiga Sethuraj likes this
Karthiga Sethuraj February 26, 2020

Thanks Martins , it worked! Appreciate your response.

Karthiga Sethuraj March 4, 2020

Hello Martins, 

Is it possible to create a combined page filter for "Time" dimension to be able to filter both by monthly or yearly or quarterly level and the biweekly and weekly levels? 

Right now it seems like either one of these levels (All times or weekly or 2 weeks) can only be enabled as a page filter. 

My requirement is to be able to set up a filter for Time in the pages so that I can easily switch from Monthly/quarterly to weekly or biweekly views on the dashboards, without having to edit the actual chart.

Thank you!

Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2020

Hi @Karthiga Sethuraj 

Unfortunately, you can't have a calculated member in page filter that would aggregate members from two different hierarchies.

Weeks and months/quarters are not from the same hierarchy therefore you can't have them both in one report as a page selection.

Perhaps a workaround is custom time hierarchies.

https://docs.eazybi.com/eazybi/analyze-and-visualize/create-reports#Createreports-AddcustomhierarchiestoTimedimension

Martins / eazyBI support

Karthiga Sethuraj March 11, 2020

Thank you Martins.

Karthiga Sethuraj March 13, 2020

Hello @Sir Mārtiņš Vanags 

Is it possible to rename the biweekly custom hierarchy that I had defined in Time dimension.

I would like to rename the highlighted custom hierarchy members

2W01, Dec 30 2019 to Iteration 1, Dec 30 2019

2W02, Dec 30 2019 to Iteration 2, Jan 13 2020

etc...

Biweekly custom hierarchy.PNG

Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2020

Hi @Karthiga Sethuraj 

Unfortunately, It would not be possible to rename custom hierarchies in "Time" dimension.

The only workaround I could think of would be creating new calculated members and replace each member with a new name, but that would be a quite manual process. because every 2 weeks a new member automatically appears in the "Time" dimension.

https://docs.eazybi.com/eazybijira/analyze-and-visualize/calculated-measures-and-members/calculated-members-in-other-dimensions

Martins / eazyBI support

calculated member.png

Karthiga Sethuraj August 3, 2020

Thank you Martins!

Csenge Csalga August 9, 2022

Hi Mārtiņš Vanags,

I've added the Workdays in transition status, however, there are no columns separately for each status (which would be my goal).

Just one single number which is the time spent in its current status. If I do a drill into status, it shows the same number at the current status, but nothing for any other status.

Could you pleasae give a hint, what could have gone wrong?

I have only issues as rows.

Thanks!

Janis Plume _eazyBI_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2022

Hi @Csenge Csalga ,

Please, check that your report uses the Transition Status dimension, not the Status dimension.

Kindly,

Janis, eazyBI support

Csenge Csalga August 10, 2022

Thank you!

That was the problem.

Suggest an answer