Easy way to import SubTasks with CSV?

Andre Lehmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2015

Hi there,

we have several huge migrations from one JIRA to an other Jira.
As the Project-Restore out of the XML-Backup wouldn't work, the easiest way is CSV.

So we are exporting ALL issues of one project and want to import them into the new Jira-Project.

Now the complicated part...
Of course we have many Sub-Tasks so if I follow the Atlassian-Documentation (https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/7AESCw) I have to add 2 new columns in the CSV and MANUALLY edit the Issue-IDs for regular-Tasks and also MANUALLY edit the parent-ID for Sub-Task.

For 100-issues maybe possible... What about 25.000 issues???

If I create an excel-Export with ALL fields, there is also a column "Sub-Tasks" which the issue-ID of Sub-Task. BUT I don't need the Issue-ID of SubTasks because JIRA doesn't care on those IDs, it wants the parent-ID.

Why the hell JIRA doesn't export the parent-ID? That makes Import and Export way easier!!

What are your ways to import many many issues with subtask?
I tried that once for 1 project with around 3000 issues... Took me about 4-5h to manually edit the CSV adding parent-ids... Horrible work!

Kind regards
André

EDIT: Same with attachments... If I export issues with Excel the column has: "_thumb_98770.png" as value.
The URL and name of the attachment is completely different => http://JIRA-URL/secure/attachment/98770/logo2.jpg

So, again, I have to edit manually thousends of lines sad

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2015

Hello Andre,

thanks for sharing your frustration with us, it will help us better prioritize our future tasks.

The CSV Export tool was not designed to migrate issues between instances, but we know that actually customers are using it this way, as there is actually nothing better now...

JIRA has two ongoing features that should help in your scenario:

1. Project migration feature - but as far as I know is not planned even for 7.0 release, so I'm not sure when that would be available
  2. JSON Export - it's similar to CSV export feature that you are using, but this one is exporting features to JSON format, which allows a bit more information in it - it should take in it such information like subtasks and attachment URL - for this feature actually I'm responsible and it's in my near future scope (as near future I mean few months ;/ )

Unfortunately I don't know any workaround that you could use right now... You could open a ticket for our support people: https://support.atlassian.com/ - maybe they faced a similar issue before.

Maxim Maximov January 6, 2020

I am not able to find JSON format for the definition of ChildID/ParentID in the confluence.

Could you please assist.

1 vote
Chuck Diewald June 16, 2017

Jira now includes Issue ID and Parent ID when doing an issue export of all fields into Excel.  I was able to export my tasks and subtasks from Jira, manipulate it in Excel, and import it back into Jira. I did this recently and wrote a blog about my experiences which may help. See importing-a-project-plan-with-subtasks-from-excel-into-jira

Sajiv Sriraam August 16, 2017
I am using Jira 7.1.1, Issue Id and Parent Id is not available, Please tell me from which version parent id is available?
Chuck Diewald August 17, 2017

We're using the hosted version v1000.1189.0

0 votes
Mathieu Desbiens October 17, 2015

Hi,

If you're using SQL Server you can create a query ton extract the information from the database. It took just a few simple adjustment in the query. Then you can export your data in c.s.v for the export option, you can even cut and paste from SQL to excel if you have a small amount of data. It's actually a nice and simple way to go.I've import all my task and sub-task this way.

Thanks

Barath Srikanth September 3, 2017

Hi,

we are using sql server

Could you elaborate the procedure ,i mean what would be the query .

Suggest an answer