EPICs in backlog not as a filter

Brendan December 1, 2019

How can we show the EPICs in the backlog like stories, don't like the EPICs filter as it is not usable for our needs.

I would expect that EPICs appear like stories in the back log

2 answers

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2019

Hi @Brendan

Is this a Scrum or a Kanban board?

It's not possible to remove the Epics Panel in Scrum as far as I know - but if it's Kanban with the Kanban Backlog and you're the Board Admin, do this:

1. On your Board, select Settings (3-dots in top-right) > Board Settings
  2. Go to Columns
  3. If the Kanban Backlog is activated, there will be an option for "Epics Panel" above the column view - toggle it to off

Ste

Joshua Swanson June 7, 2021

This looks like the right answer - I can see the epics option in the backlog sidebar - but it doesn't actually work. There are no epics in the list, even though I can see several of the tickets in the backlog have the epic name clearly visible on them.

Why are there no epics in the list? How do I add the option to filter the backlog by epic?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2021

Hi @Joshua Swanson 

Have you included the Epics in your Board's Filter?

Ste

0 votes
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2019

@Brendan Welcome to the community! 🙂

You can always view epics like a Back Log from the "Issues and Filters" function... then filter out what is not relevant till you see what you want.

I guess you are talking about the Back Log on the board though - what exactly are your needs??
When I do not click the Epic filter, all the Epics are view-able in the Back Log, keep the back log grouped.

Epics.jpg

Brendan December 1, 2019

But without the EPICs filter on the left so that the EPIC just appears in the backlog like the story does.  I have it like this with past projects (not nextgen) in the past but can not seem to change it for the current project. I only want the versions on the left. Just want the EPICs panel removing from the backlog.

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Brendan December 1, 2019

Like how it works for Kanban but using the Sprint view

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2019

I think I understand what you're looking for...
If you're working on a Scrum Board, go to the current Sprint View, click on the top right menu and follow the path:

Board Settings -> Swimlanes -> Base swimlanes on = Change to 'Epics'
This will change your Sprint View to Epics.

What has me confused is your need of the Epics appearing in the Back Logs...? Cloud doesn't do that.
Were your past projects in old Server versions of Jira...??

(If the above suggested solution didn't answer your question, I'll get some veteren users involved!)

Suggest an answer