EMail handler uses incorrect account to create message

Eric Smith July 29, 2014

I currently have 8 mail handlers configured to use the default mail handler "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue". They all appeared to be working fine until one day I removed a random test account from the jira-users group that had access to create issues. All of the EMail stopped working. I checked the incoming mail file in /var/log/jira and got the following error message:

Reporter (mjordan) does not have permission to create an issue. Message rejected.

This error seems pretty straightforward except for one problem: I did not ever set the test account mjordan in any of the mail handlers. It seems as if the mjordan account is somehow tied to the default "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue" default handler. I have searched everywhere for a place where I might have set the default EMail account to be mjordan but I have been unsuccessfull in locating such a place.

I have been resigned to giving this account access to create issues temporarily, but would much rather assign this task to one of the service accounts in my environment. Can anyone please point me to where this setting can be changed?

1 answer

0 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2014

Eric,

You have an user with the login 'mjordan' and the problem is that this specific user does not have permission to create issues on that specific project. :)

So when 'mjordan'sends an e-mail to that account that your handler is working on, when JIRA processes the mail, it will tell you that that user does not have permission to create issues.

-- Pedro

Eric Smith July 30, 2014

There is no user 'mjordan' that is using the EMail to create a ticket. Its any user that EMails any of my EMail handlers. Whenever ANYONE send an email through my EMail handlers to Jira, if they have an account in Jira it successfully serts them as the reporter. However, if I set the 'mjordan' user to inactive, I get the above referenced error in my log no matter which user attempts to send an EMail to Jira using any of my EMail handlers.

Its almost as if Jira is using the 'mjordan' account to facilitate the creation of the ticket in Jira before going through and assigning the reporter, assignee, etc.

Suggest an answer