EMPTY resolution is filtered when I don't want it to.

Sam Newman February 24, 2014

I'm trying to find all issues except subtasks types that have resolution set to Duplicate or "Won't Fix". The only filter that I got to work is :

project = <name> AND type in standardIssueTypes() OR project = <name> AND resolution not in (Duplicate, "Won't Fix") OR project = <name> AND resolution in (EMPTY)

This appears to work, but excluding the subtasks set to Duplicate/Wont Fix is implicite. I would much prefer a direct way to do this. I tried this:

project = "Q-I UX" AND type in standardIssueTypes() OR project = qiux AND type = subTaskissuetypes() and resolution not in (Duplicate, "Won't Fix")

But in this filter excludes subtasks with an EMPTY resolution, even though I did not specify that. I could change it to "resolution in (...)" but then I need to add each resolution type (we have a lot) and update it any time the resolution types list changes.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-SN

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2014

You should use brackets if you combine ORs and ANDs.

Regarding your last comment, how does this work:

project = "Q-I UX" and not (type = Sub-task and resolution in (Duplicate, "Won't Fix"))

Sam Newman February 25, 2014

Thanks. I didn't know I could use "AND NOT". That fixed it.

When I used simple ANDs with brackets, the brackets would get stripped out on execution.

David G February 25, 2014

Just so you're aware, this search query implicitly filters out all sub-tasks where resolultion is EMPTY.

This means your results will not list any sub-tasks that are unresolved. The 2nd answer I posted yesterday will get you what you're looking for.

0 votes
David G February 24, 2014

Apologies, misread your request. Your second filter is very close to what you're looking for.

project = QIUX AND type in standardIssueTypes() OR (type = Sub-task AND (resolution not in (Duplicate, "Won't Fix") or resolution is EMPTY))

That will show all resolutions for standard issue types, and show all sub-tasks (including EMPTY) except for Duplicate and Won't Fix.

0 votes
David G February 24, 2014

Here you go:

project = "Q-I UX" AND type != Sub-task AND resolution in (Duplicate, "Won't Fix")

Sets your project, sets your type to not include sub-tasks, sets resolution to include Duplicate and Won't Fix only.

Your title also states you don't want it to filter EMPTY, so here is that JQL.

project = "Q-I UX" AND type != Sub-task AND (resolution in (Duplicate, "Won't Fix") OR resolution is EMPTY)

Sam Newman February 24, 2014

hmm, not quite. :) This filters out all subtasks regardless of resolution and filters out standard issues types set to (duplcate,Won't fix). I only want to filter out the subtasks that have resolution set to (Duplicate, Won't Fix). All other issue types / resolutions should be listed.

Ironically, this filter shows me the list of issues that I want to exclude. Is there a filter that shows ALL issues in my project except these:

project = "Q-I UX" AND type = Sub-task AND resolution in (Duplicate, "Won't Fix")

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2014

How about

project = "Q-I UX" AND NOT (type = Sub-task AND resolution in (Duplicate, "Won't Fix"))

Suggest an answer