Dynamic jira custom field list

pritchsc March 29, 2014

I am looking to implement JIRA for project managment in my company. We are already using JIRA for defect tracking, and would like to extend its use futher.

We have create a new project and screen with some custom fields. However, we would like to now create two new custom fields: one project and the other call version. The project field will be standard select list of the projects in jira, but for the version, we would like to be able to dynamically list the versions that are available in the project that we have select.

If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated.

thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2016

Hi
If you can explain why you need this, maybe get some good ideas without using your described methods.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2014

That's not possible without any code - you're effectively trying to select versions from other projects, which is nonsense to Jira - the current issue belongs to a project, and the version field therefore lists the current projects versions.

You'll need to write a field that can do that dynamic selection, or select from the whole set of versions (I'd be tempted to implement this as a cascading select style field - first list populated by project, second by version. But you'll need to store the data as strings because the versions and projects can be changed, you can't just link to the version objects)

Suggest an answer