• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • Dropping Issues that are no longer required and moving automatically to Done as opposed to following the normal workflow

Dropping Issues that are no longer required and moving automatically to Done as opposed to following the normal workflow

Lisa Higgins April 9, 2012

Is there a way to change the status (may be status, may be some other function) of a story/bug if you decide it is no longer required? For example, if you enter a story into the backlog, and realize 3 weeks later that that story is no longer needed because the direction of the task changed, but you still want to keep track of the story and why the direction changed paths, so you don't want to just delete it.

The desired outcome would be that the story would be changed to "Dropped" and move automatically to Done, without having to go through the remainder of the normal issue workflow. Is there a way to do this?

2 answers

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2012
0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2012

You need a workflow transition from the 'open' state to the 'done' state. You can limit this transition to particular user roles so that only specific users can transition it.

Basically though, it is all just standard workflow that will enable you to do this. i.e. It isn't a special case as such

Thank you for this info.

Good moring, Looking through this option, I think that if I adjust a transition for my workflow, it is going to move all issues directly to done, as opposed to only those issues classified as dropped or duplicate. Is there a way to only move issues classified as dropped or a duplicate to Done?

Suggest an answer